The Rhodebar thread!

She isn't a rhodebar.
Definitely looks like she is a legbar cross which would explain the blue/green eggs.

Yeaaah, that's kind of what I suspected too. :) I kind of wondered it it was a situation of someone breeding a RIR with a legbar to produce a "rhodebar."

Is there anything specifically about the way she looks (aside from the blue-green egg thing) that makes you think she's a legbar cross?

She is pretty ragged looking so when she gets in better shape it will be interesting to see her.
I've raised legbars and brown leghorns (same pattern without the barring or cream) first thing that jumped out was the hackles. Those and her back look like the legbar hen pattern. Her bottom half looks more rhodebar-ish.
With so much red on the bottom half, no crest or noticeable white earlobes she looks to be mixed.
Yes the egg color was the final piece in my thoughts.
I was thinking the same thing. A legbar rooster bred to a RIR or even a rhodebar hen.
Rhodebars are such a mess. I've has them twice in the past that had more issues then I wanted to straighten out.
Have a pair now which also have some issues. Hoping come spring to find some true RIR hens and breed with my rooster to see where I can get them.
It surprises me how popular legbars got but the rhodebars never took off.

This is the latest update from my friend Michaelf, dark double barred Rhodebar rooster from his Rhodebar improvement project.

Rhodebar.jpg

Ok so I understand that rhodebars are bred on e+. So if you cross to heritage rir you get Ewh/e+. In future crossings how can you tell if the chicks are carrying wheaten or not.

Ok so I understand that rhodebars are bred on e+. So if you cross to heritage rir you get Ewh/e+. In future crossings how can you tell if the chicks are carrying wheaten or not.
e+/eWh chicks will have chipmunk stripes like e+/e+ but somewhat faded

Michaelf birds(from the Rhodebar improvement project a few years ago, they are Rose Combed Rhodebars)

RhodeBar Male used
1LhKtN.jpg

OWpyCe.jpg

RC RIR line used(could not source the RC RIR female pic)
P2m18Z.jpeg

F1s(the ones with chipmunk striping, the wheaten looking ones were culled)
64P3av.jpg

F1 male
350x700px-LL-fb160257_pinkpink2-18-14hatch2-13.jpeg

350x700px-LL-bb381314_F1pinkpinkside3-11-14.jpeg

F1 Male growing cockerel
PvDYe3.jpg

F1 Male Grown(used for BC1 for Back to RB and RC RIR)
y7YSQY.jpg

Same principle(Heritage RIR x Rhodebar) but on Single comb.

F1 Single comb Male
Rhodebarf1.jpg

F1pullet.jpg

Last edited:
e+/eWh chicks will have chipmunk stripes like e+/e+ but somewhat faded

Michaelf birds(from the Rhodebar improvement project a few years ago, they are Rose Combed Rhodebars)

RhodeBar Male used
1LhKtN.jpg

OWpyCe.jpg

RC RIR line used(could not source the RC RIR female pic)
P2m18Z.jpeg

F1s(the ones with chipmunk striping, the wheaten looking ones were culled)
64P3av.jpg

F1 male
350x700px-LL-fb160257_pinkpink2-18-14hatch2-13.jpeg

350x700px-LL-bb381314_F1pinkpinkside3-11-14.jpeg

F1 Male growing cockerel
PvDYe3.jpg

F1 Male Grown(used for BC1 for Back to RB and RC RIR)
y7YSQY.jpg

Same principle(Heritage RIR x Rhodebar) but on Single comb.

F1 Single comb Male
View attachment 1437663

View attachment 1437664
Got it! Thanks for the info!

I always see F1 males that are single barred and never see true breeding double barred males... Are theses birds being used this way in some sort of Double mating program only ?

Back
Top Bottom