The Rhodebar thread!

Pics
I've just started hatching my eggs and am confused my the sexing! Cream Legbars are much easier. I have one clear male, yellow with a spot on it's head. I have some that are light brown but only vague stripes. I'm assuming those are boys. I have one that is brown with stripes but has a white dot. Is that a girl? Can girls have the white dot? A few pages back, there was a discussion about the egg color from Greenfire stock. Mine came from there and they do not lay a green egg. It's a pinkish brown egg. Very pretty.

Marvin is it possible that the Rhodebars mixed with the Cream Legbars are expressing the the cream gene (ig I think) making the red/gold instead yellowish in color?

If this is the case sexing could become all that much harder along with not knowing what will pop out of these chickens for several generations unless bred against these traits.

Last edited:
Marvin is it possible that the Rhodebars mixed with the Cream Legbars are expressing the the cream gene (ig I think) making the red/gold instead yellowish in color?

If this is the case sexing could become all that much harder along with not knowing what will pop out of these chickens for several generations unless bred against these traits.
no, because ig is recessive in nature, one copy of such recessive gene in heterozygous form(one copy) can not be expressed..

sexing cream legbars is not a big problem, ig plays no role at sexing chicks, what it does is a wildtype chick down and sex linked barring

RC50 do you want to see how none autosexing Columbian Restricted gold Barred bird look like?

they look just like Hampbars when adults, but they are not autosexable at hatch.

here take a look at the Euskal Oiloa, a none autosexing breed that look very like Hampbars, at least on color.

adults
eusko0.jpg

chicks.
75283_euskal_oiloa_chicks_008.jpg

so as you can see Wheaten and Barring cant be used as autosexing chicks, another example of a wheaten barred breed that is not autosexable is the Delaware which infact they get their eWh wheaten allele from the New Hampshire breed

Hi.. I have seen those many times... over the years....But as you have said yourself.. wheaten can do anything lol and will

Keith
SC
USA

Hi.. I have seen those many times... over the years....But as you have said yourself.. wheaten can do anything lol and will

Keith
SC
USA
No, I said heteozygous wheaten is a very unstable e allele, but Homozygous wheaten will always look the same, yellow/cream colored for none red enhanced birds and orange for red enahnced bird and NO wheaten cant never look like true wildtype on homozygous state

hey can I have a look at your chicks, I would love to see and learn from them

Of the original 11 GFF chicks I received I lost 3 pullets. They all appeared to be runts & died within the past 2 wks. Now my rhodebar Cockeral is acting as if he can only use his right side & unable to stand upright. The symptoms came on suddenly last night & as of right now no others show any signs of illness. He is eating well & seems very alert. I am going to give him vitamins & electrolytes with my fingers crossed. He is the only Cockeral I have, I really hate this!

Of the original 11 GFF chicks I received I lost 3 pullets. They all appeared to be runts & died within the past 2 wks. Now my rhodebar Cockeral is acting as if he can only use his right side & unable to stand upright. The symptoms came on suddenly last night & as of right now no others show any signs of illness. He is eating well & seems very alert. I am going to give him vitamins & electrolytes with my fingers crossed. He is the only Cockeral I have, I really hate this!

How heartbreaking! Did you necropsy any of the pullets?

Whenever I hear neurological problems, I worry about Marek's You may want to post a thread over on the disease board and see if anyone can give you any help with him. Here is some info on Merek's :http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf Sorry if I am stressing you out by posting this, but if your cockerel doesn't make it I would suggest that you have an vet pathologist (probably at your nearest vet school) do a necropsy to find out for sure what he died from to put your mind at ease or so that you can take proper husbandry steps to control what ever it is if it turns out to be a communicable disease.

I hope it turns out to be not a big deal and he recovers quickly--I wish you the best!

Last edited:
I instantly thought Mereks, GFF vacinates though. The females that past were never thriving 100%. I know not all birds can be perfect & just assumed they were not ment to make it. However the male was always perfect until last night. He is in a large wire dog crate away from others with medicated water & he is drinking it. It's so hard when there are no other symptoms. I am watching closely for anything to give more clues. If he doesn't rebound neocropsy is at the top of my list. If he has something that puts my flock at risk I would be sick! My rhodebars have never been near any other birds thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom