The Rhodebar thread!

I snapped a couple of pics of my first hatch F1 pullets. As you can see in the pics their legs are no longer greenish but a nice bright yellow. They are awesome foragers go much further from the coop then my HRIR did at that age. Since letting them free-range my feed bill has really decreased, lol. I am hoping this trait follows into the next generation.

Penny

Wow that F1 has such improvements over original Rhodebars..

These are 3 of the RB pullets I am keeping. The rest have little or no barring that is visible. One these has lighter barring than the other. What do you guys think?

My Rhodebar pullets, 6 months old now and filling out nicely. One thing I like about these Rhodebars, they grow fast. My cockerels are in a bachelor pen for now, but they are almost as large as my mature Roosters. I'm going to pull my best cockerel out and put him with these hens. The beauty of California is that I can hatch pretty much any time I want, in a few weeks I'll start collecting eggs for the incubator, see what I get.

The one on the left in this photo is my weird "laced/partridge" hen, she'll be staying in the layer flock but I do like how she's maturing. She's the biggest of the 3.

The laced/partridge looking hen. It's not just the pattern that's different, she also has a different color. She's missing that green/grey/black (not sure what it would be called) that the other hens have over their shoulders.

My Rhodebar pullets, 6 months old now and filling out nicely.

The laced/partridge looking hen. It's not just the pattern that's different, she also has a different color. She's missing that green/grey/black (not sure what it would be called) that the other hens have over their shoulders.

Rhodebar hens are not supposed to have black/grey/ on their shoulders, the reason yours do is because they are either missing the Columbian restrictor or are heterozygous for it Co/co+, you hens look very wildtype(ground color instead of red/orange that is produced by columbian)

I Actually like your so called Partridge hen, she actually is not partridge and show full columbian restriction and to me its the best of the lot you show, as far as color even if the barring is strange, at leas she shows Columbian, which is need it for a Black Tailed red barred bird like Rhodebars

Quote:
I Actually like your so called Partridge hen, she actually is not partridge and show full columbian restriction and to me its the best of the lot you show, as far as color even if the barring is strange, at leas she shows Columbian, which is need it for a Black Tailed red barred bird like Rhodebars

She was not barred, although her pattern is breaking up to the point of starting to look that way. I can see why if someone bought the birds as young adults they might include one like her in their program and not realize it wasn't really a barred bird.
She was also unable to be accurately sexed at hatch so she will stay in the layer flock since that's my #1 criteria. The person who I bought my chicks from gave her to me for free because they thought she was a male, I thought (hoped) she might be female just because the pattern of feathering was more like the pullets.

This is her a couple months ago, I think it was someone in this thread who said she was a partridge, I'm really not sure what she is :).

Quote:

She was not barred, although her pattern is breaking up to the point of starting to look that way. I can see why if someone bought the birds as young adults they might include one like her in their program and not realize it wasn't really a barred bird.
She was also unable to be accurately sexed at hatch so she will stay in the layer flock since that's my #1 criteria. The person who I bought my chicks from gave her to me for free because they thought she was a male, I thought (hoped) she might be female just because the pattern of feathering was more like the pullets.

This is her a couple months ago, I think it was someone in this thread who said she was a partridge, I'm really not sure what she is :).

I see, well Sexing is the #1 criteria, then color, so even if your birds dont show columbian then its ok, this can be obtain later

Back
Top Bottom