The Rhodebar thread!

males should not display Black Barred breasts, they should be uniformly orange barred

Here's the 3 males now. Am I correct that the top one is the keeper? (Pics aren't great but these little bugger's are quick!)

males should not display Black Barred breasts, they should be uniformly orange barred

Here's the 3 males now. Am I correct that the top one is the keeper? (Pics aren't great but these little bugger's are quick!)

No way of knowing without seeing pics of what they looked like at hatch. Then you need to wait until adult feathering comes in and compare. Did all three have obvious head spots?
Is basically too soon to tell but if any didn't have obvious head spots you can go ahead and eliminate them now regardless of what they look like as an adult.

Yup, it was very obvious m or f.

This is a pic of them younger...

Depending on your breeding plans I would consider the bottom two over the top one simply because he displays more wheaten. But that depends what your breeding plans are. My plans would not use a wheaten looking chicks. But at least he is autosexed.
I'd say at this point you know need to wait on feathering... You should know ina few months.

Rhodebar roosters are one of the sweetest breeds we've raised :). our boys have always handled well. I was wondering on some input on our hen Delilah, she had perfect chipmunk markings as a chick, and i'm just trying to wrap my head around the ideal adult plumage. here she is, she's almost a year old now.

He is getting bigger and is still sweet. He LOVES his neck rubbed ad will stretch it out so I can rub him, lol.

Sigh! My cockerel pen is on a seperate part of the farm - it just prevents chaos that way. I had marked my first and second choice F1 to put back over my RIR. I had several dozen cockerels from 2 breeds in that pen and wouldn't you know... No lgd. Yes I lost 4. And of course my 1st and 2nd choice F1 were 2 of the 4. ARGH!
I was going to move my first choice to the hens this week. Guess I'm a few days too late. So... Now I have to decide if I'm going to use my third choice F1 cockerel or if I should just stick with using the F1 pullets (who should start laying any time).
I suppose I can take a pic of him and maybe @niclandia, @melroseladi, et al.. can tell me if they think it's worth it.
Did I mention I am NOT happy! He a nice cockerel dang it!

Last edited:
Sigh! My cockerel pen is on a seperate part of the farm - it just prevents chaos that way. I had marked my first and second choice F1 to put back over my RIR. I had several dozen cockerels from 2 breeds in that pen and wouldn't you know... No lgd. Yes I lost 4. And of course my 1st and 2nd choice F1 were 2 of the 4. ARGH!
I was going to move my first choice to the hens this week. Guess I'm a few days too late. So... Now I have to decide if I'm going to use my third choice F1 cockerel or if I should just stick with using the F1 pullets (who should start laying any time).
I suppose I can take a pic of him and maybe @niclandia, @melroseladi, et al.. can tell me if they think it's worth it.
Did I mention I am NOT happy! He a nice cockerel dang it!
So sorry to hear of the setback as well as the personal loss. Wish you were closer and we could share.

Rhodebars go broody? My girl has laid almost every single day for a couple of months now. Wow. Smaller eggs than what I hoped for..in fact, quite small for such a large bird. But, does she handle the heat! The others will be standing there with their wings out and panting, and she is walking around normal. I will see her wings out a bit once in a while, but not often. Wonder if she will be good in the winter too..a hardy bird.
But, broody? Ugh, I just had a leghorn finish up with some babies. Never thought I would see that! My Rhodebar is doing the cluck cluck sound that probably most of us here know. She sat on the nest longer yesterday after laying, in fact, when I went to get her egg, is when she finally got off. Out comes the broody breaker I guess. Must be the rock in her?? Hope they don't go broody often.
hmm.png

She is one of the prettiest birds out there! Love her coloring!

Back
Top Bottom