The Rhodebar thread!

Pics
nicalandia, Hi... Do you breed Rhodebars? or any other autosexing breeds...?

have a great one...

its Hard to get rid of, but not impossible, it will take a few generations, but if you are already trying to improve the breed by using RIR then this also should take you a few generations, you can do both things at the same time.........OR you can start all over again with proven stock(I dont know where you can get them beside GFF)

Thanks nicalandia, as always. I think if I was looking for "proven" stock GFF would be the last source I would go to. They certainly don't seem to stand behind their product.

I do have a question for you though. I know you said you can't get the Rhodebar by crossing the BPR over the RIR. I have the black star cockeral and RIR pullets. How would I go about breeding them to get an auto-sexing breed? In layman's terms what breed would I have to cross in to get the wildtype ( I think that's it) so that the barring would work? Hope that makes sense.

Here are some photos of the 11 olive egg "Rhodebars" that hatched yesterday/today. There is one with a distinct white spot on the head. And there are four that are lighter than the others and 7 with darker down and more prominent chipmunk stripes. What do you think?

I do have a question for you though. I know you said you can't get the Rhodebar by crossing the BPR over the RIR. I have the black star cockeral and RIR pullets. How would I go about breeding them to get an auto-sexing breed? In layman's terms what breed would I have to cross in to get the wildtype ( I think that's it) so that the barring would work? Hope that makes sense.
you need to outsource the e+(wildtype) allele, get yourself a pair of Red Dorkings or at least a hen, and start working with a barred rooster you have

Here are some photos of the 11 olive egg "Rhodebars" that hatched yesterday/today. There is one with a distinct white spot on the head. And there are four that are lighter than the others and 7 with darker down and more prominent chipmunk stripes. What do you think?

they dont look wildtype at all, they look Wheaten/wildtype Heterozygotes eWh/e+ the darker ones my be females or heterozygous males, please keep track of them

As they dry more and time passes, I see more differences. Four of them have white on their heads - more of a diffused white area than a spot on three of them. Then the other seven don't have white on their heads. Look at these two photos I just now took:

Would that be auto-sexing - with the four with white spots the males, and the others female? (Or am I just very wishfully thinking right now? LOL)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom