The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

Pics
Is fertility a problem with the Silver Laced Wyandottes? Or no more than any other breed?

Dan

Clucksworth is 100% correct. There are things you can do to try and help the process along. You can pluck feathers, both sexes. You can do AI, if you are comfortable with that. There are a lot of great videos on youtube for that too. Good luck!!!!!

I have 3 of this breed and they are the bottom of the pecking order, might be because they are the slowest to mature in my flock. One had its eye pecked out (I assume) by the other chickens and needed isolation along with antibiotics. She recovered but only has vision on her left side. I am thinking I might isolate these 3 in their own coop and run on the other side of the property.

I have to say they are the best looking chickens I have ever seen in person, beautiful breed.

I have 3 of this breed and they are the bottom of the pecking order, might be because they are the slowest to mature in my flock. One had its eye pecked out (I assume) by the other chickens and needed isolation along with antibiotics. She recovered but only has vision on her left side. I am thinking I might isolate these 3 in their own coop and run on the other side of the property.

I have to say they are the best looking chickens I have ever seen in person, beautiful breed.

Have most people found Wyandottes to be hard to blend into a flock without others picking on them?

Dan

Not at least for me, i have 6 wyandottes, and 6 other pure breeds (the feed store variety), and everyone gets along great. i actually haven't seen any single chicken be picked on more than the rest. they have little fights, get their feathers all ruffled, and then go about their day.

hello all,

just picked up three 5 week old SLW to add to my EE flock. I believe (and hope) that i have 2 pullets and a cockerel? can anyone confirm that? *fingers crossed*

all 3 together. the one closest to the camera is the one i (and the breeder) thinks is a cockerel.

cockerel? his comb is bigger and redder than the other two?

this is his feathers, he is maturing slower than the other two, who already have most of their feathers. another reason we think its a cockerel and the other 2 are pullets.

pullet?

pullet?

THANKS!

hello all,

just picked up three 5 week old SLW to add to my EE flock. I believe (and hope) that i have 2 pullets and a cockerel? can anyone confirm that? *fingers crossed*

all 3 together. the one closest to the camera is the one i (and the breeder) thinks is a cockerel.

cockerel? his comb is bigger and redder than the other two?

this is his feathers, he is maturing slower than the other two, who already have most of their feathers. another reason we think its a cockerel and the other 2 are pullets.

pullet?

pullet?

THANKS!
You are right. The one with the black across the lower neck on the back is the male. (Closest to the camera)

awesome guys! thanks so much!! im getting better at differentiating between pullets and cockerels, but the second opinions are definitely appreciated. all i need now are my 2 silkie hens and a silkie rooster and my flock is complete!

... for now ;)

i had these 3 separate from my easter eggers since the EEs are older (and bigger), so i sectioned off a little parcel for the babies. went out there tonight after work to check on them and they werent there. looked through the window of the bigger chickens coop and there they were, nestled with the girls! they seem to be doing ok, ill check them again in the morning but they all seem to be getting along ok. should i worry too much? i have eight 10 week olds and five 15 week olds....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom