The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

Pics

cuntryuppiechick

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
A place to post pics and discuss your SLWs. I searched and didn't find another thread specific to SLWs.

Here are my first babies. They are supposed to be two hens and a roo.
89326_photo-1.jpg

89326_photo-2.jpg

Here are my youngins! Also my Splash laced reds.
I just recieved the Silvers last night
Here is one of the pullets, I only took pics of one pullet because the other is almost identicle, but a little bigger.
silvers3.jpg

Here is the roo.
silvers2-1.jpg

Im gessing another roo worked on thm a bit because thy are missing some saddle feathers lol.
silver4-1.jpg

IMAG0514.jpg

My Beautiful Splash laced Red Roo!
IMAG0512.jpg

OH AND GUESS WHAT??......

CHICKEN BUTT!
IMAG0505.jpg

The reason Hatcheries sell the birds they do is because 1. Most are uninformed and don't know what a true SOP specimen of a breed is and 2. People don't care and they are cheap.

I won't support a puppy mill or a hatchery

Dan

please don't make it difficult for new chicken keepers to ask questions. It's insulting. I bought our birds from a hatchery for good reasons. I am not looking to breed or show at this time. But I am interested in learning from experienced chicken folks. Perhaps someday I will want to do something more than enjoy my birds. Until then I will look to people who are willing to share there knowledge without insulting people who got their birds from hatcheries

For those of you interested! My book “The Visual Guide to the Silver Laced Wyandotte” will soon be available! I am being shipped the final proof as I type, to look over, then it is ready to go! It is 118 pages of over 100 illustrations, 40 + photos, and descriptions. There is a chapter going over everything from feather color, type, comb, tail spread, wing color, and more. A simple, visual guide to understanding the standard and culling of the wyandotte for the very beginner to the seasoned professional.

I am starting to take names for regular, signed, and limited edition preorders. The limited editions include a special limited print only available with the first 30 books.

Later on I am planning on auctioning a signed book that will include an original illustration!

Regular books - $25
Signed books - $30
Limited edition (w/ print) - $50
**Shipping not included in pricing

I am also working on making this book available on the kindle!

Contact me if you would like more details or have any questions.

Feather shape is better explained with pictures so here you go!

This hen shows very good feather shape. See how every feather is wide and oval shaped? This is the preferred feathering for a wyandotte. The un preferred feather type is called an almond shape. The feather is more stretched and narrow.

Here is a great illustration to help understand the preferred feather shape and basic color. The ideal feather is the top right which is the open feather. The one the the left of it is the almond shape. It is a slight difference but when you see one versus the other you can see that the open feathers are much more appealing. I'll look for a hen I have that has the almond shape.

Back
Top Bottom