The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

I got my first silver-laced Wyandottes at the Poultry show in Tucson, yesterday. I got two pairs. I really don't need two roos, so I will probably sell one of them. I can believe how enormous they are!

I also got a black Wyandotte pullet and a pair of bantam black Wyandottes.

@MrsFitzDarcy
My silver laced (and blue laced silver) chicks were very different from each other.
I could not judge upon the downs whether or not they would become good birds.
When the silver laced become juveniles you can start selecting on color at +- 2 months old.
1) The birds that are very white will never show a good lacing on an older age.
2) Also the birds that have a very wide lacing aren't what you are looking for.
3) You can also check for an extra silver lacing at the edge of the feather, around the black lacing. This is a fault as well.
On the other hand, the combination of a very white rooster (incomplete lacing) with a very dark hen (broad lacing), or the other way around, might result in good laced birds.
I would only make use of this combination if there aren't any good laced birds around.

Different downs :

As for the fertility, I can only recommend good feed, fresh water and a good chicken coop/run that ensure the health of your birds.
I breed the bantams and work with flocks of 1 cockerel and 4-6 hens. Never had any problems with fertility.
Depending on how many hens you have, you can make different pens with 2-3 hens each.
Every other day you put the rooster in another pen while you collect the eggs.
Keep the eggs separated in the incubator so you can check which pen gave you the infertile eggs.
That way you can check whether it's a cockerel problem , or a hen problem.

Yes I love the old APA book. I bought a copy of the standard two years ago and absolutely can not find it anymore. I heard there will be a new addition coming, so I guess I will hold out until then. I'm very tempted to get the foley book.

I also reference these two photos

Hi all.
Just going to sit here and learn if you don't mind. Do to several different issues I wound up with some space in my coop up here in the frozen tozen land. After much researching (and a budget reality check on the Swedish breeds) I decided the SLW's would be a nice fit with my BA ladies and just today placed my order for a half dozen chicks. Soonest delivery for safety from freezing (I hope) was May 2nd so I have lots of time to sit and dream. I took a chance and ordered from MyPetChicken, Here's hoping I get decent birds. Not expecting SOP but they claim they are heritage not production lines so????

ETA - I just read elsewhere that these are not the friendliest birds? That they are docile and talkative but not the most "sociable" with humans (aka not likely to jump on your lap, etc.) and rather aloof. Also tend to be a bit domineering in the flock. Is this true? If so, I may have made a mistake. I wanted birds that would blend well personality wise with my BAs and something my grandchildren might be able to handle.

Your experienced input would be appreciated.

This is Emmy my SLW. She's very quiet & very docile. She's actually the lowest rank in our flock. She wont come up & sit on your lap like some of the others do, but if you pick her up, most of the time she'll let you hold her. She's 7-8 months now & still no eggs.

My original wyandotte is not from a hatchery. She was from a breeder in the area in which I lived. I just got an assortment from her and was lucky enough that I was able to recieve these chicks. I was going to breed her with the hatchery chickens, but I think I will take your advice. We love our girls and want to make sure that they have the best of everything.
I will look into these places. Thanks for the heads up.

Back
Top Bottom