The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

[COLOR=222222]PS: A chicken friend of mine was told by a judge out here that the hens should have white heads. That's not true, is it?[/COLOR]

As adults I think they mean

If I recall this girl was 8-10 months in the photo

@MrsFitzDarcy
My silver laced (and blue laced silver) chicks were very different from each other.
I could not judge upon the downs whether or not they would become good birds.
When the silver laced become juveniles you can start selecting on color at +- 2 months old.
1) The birds that are very white will never show a good lacing on an older age.
2) Also the birds that have a very wide lacing aren't what you are looking for.
3) You can also check for an extra silver lacing at the edge of the feather, around the black lacing. This is a fault as well.
On the other hand, the combination of a very white rooster (incomplete lacing) with a very dark hen (broad lacing), or the other way around, might result in good laced birds.
I would only make use of this combination if there aren't any good laced birds around.

Different downs :

As for the fertility, I can only recommend good feed, fresh water and a good chicken coop/run that ensure the health of your birds.
I breed the bantams and work with flocks of 1 cockerel and 4-6 hens. Never had any problems with fertility.
Depending on how many hens you have, you can make different pens with 2-3 hens each.
Every other day you put the rooster in another pen while you collect the eggs.
Keep the eggs separated in the incubator so you can check which pen gave you the infertile eggs.
That way you can check whether it's a cockerel problem , or a hen problem.

@MrsFitzDarcy
My silver laced (and blue laced silver) chicks were very different from each other.
When the silver laced become juveniles you can start selecting on color at +- 2 months old.
3) You can also check for an extra silver lacing at the edge of the feather, around the black lacing. This is a fault as well.
On the other hand, the combination of a very white rooster (incomplete lacing) with a very dark hen (broad lacing), or the other way around, might result in good laced birds.
I would only make use of this combination if there aren't any good laced birds around.

Different downs :

As for the fertility, I can only recommend good feed, fresh water and a good chicken coop/run that ensure the health of your birds.
I breed the bantams and work with flocks of 1 cockerel and 4-6 hens. Never had any problems with fertility.
Depending on how many hens you have, you can make different pens with 2-3 hens each.
Keep the eggs separated in the incubator so you can check which pen gave you the infertile eggs.

I think it's a hen problem because my blue copper Marans hen who is with the SLW rooster and 3 SLW hens almost always lays fertile eggs. Maybe I just need to take her out of the mix.

My SLW are 4.5 weeks old and they look so different from one another! Is this normal? Or is one a roo? One is much smaller also..here are some pics

@MrsFitzDarcy

Different downs :

Here is my one two month old. What do you all think?

Sorry abaout the Exorcist pic ..

Quick question: Do SLW lay dark brown eggs with lots of speckles on them? I also have an Australorp, light Brahmas, and RIRs if any of those might lay dark speckled eggs;

Back
Top Bottom