The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

Pics
Hi everyone! Im a chicken newbie, and I have a SLW, so I just wanted to get subscribed to this thread. My "pullet" is almost 5 weeks old.

Abby,
Great looking coop and "Sarge" and his girls look happy as hell. They could not have gone to a better flock manager or "Mother Hen" LOL.
Hey, best of luck with them and make me proud. You are always welcome at Rattlesnake Ridge Chicken Farm on Short Mt. in "West By God Virginia".
Kurt

Abigail, very nice flock! Would you care to elaborate on what exactly is looked for in the preferred feather shape? The sire and dam of the chicks I picked up were very well proportioned with nice complete lacing, but I didn't pay much attention to feather shape. I am still trying to train my eye. Thanks,
-Jake

Feather shape is better explained with pictures so here you go!

This hen shows very good feather shape. See how every feather is wide and oval shaped? This is the preferred feathering for a wyandotte. The un preferred feather type is called an almond shape. The feather is more stretched and narrow.

Here is a great illustration to help understand the preferred feather shape and basic color. The ideal feather is the top right which is the open feather. The one the the left of it is the almond shape. It is a slight difference but when you see one versus the other you can see that the open feathers are much more appealing. I'll look for a hen I have that has the almond shape.

Hey All.
Been lurking around this thread soaking up all the Info like a sponge.Just wanted to take a min to say Thanks
to Everyone for all the good info . Im Just getting back into Chickens for the Obvious reasons (Fried Chicken and omlets)lol
But i have been around animals enough to Know that it dont cost any more to feed quality birds than mutts so that is my goal
To Raise some quality Silver laced Wyandottes(I have Certianly seen some really nice stock on this thread)
This forum and others have already been a big help THANKS again

I'm pretty new to chickens and this is my one and only wyandotte. I'm not planning on showing this girl but for educational purposes if i were to show/breed her what would i want to breed out. whats her flaws?

I'm pretty new to chickens and this is my one and only wyandotte. I'm not planning on showing this girl but for educational purposes if i were to show/breed her what would i want to breed out. whats her flaws?
I would say her main flaw is type. Type is the biggest thing that makes a Wyandotte. They should almost look like a circle from the side. Type is hard to archive and hatcheries don't take type into consideration at all when they breed. A Wyandotte is supposed to be a big bird that is a good egg layer AND meat bird. Hatchery birds only have the egg laying down. They pretty much just pick who lays eggs to keep up demand. For a hatchery bird (which I am assuming) she actually has pretty good lacing and the right kind of comb. Many people who buy hatchery wyandottes get almost solid black birds now and birds with single combs.

Bamachicks8
That is the largest comb and wattles that I ever saw on a SLW that is supposed to be a pullet or a hen. Unless I saw the egg come out I would think that is a young cockerel, but we will have to take your word for it that she is a hen.
Kurt

Back
Top Bottom