The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

Pics
Sweet pictures. It looks like the kids had fun! The 8 yr old photographer did good, better than a lot of adults, lol.
Yes, some of our best pictures have come from one of our kids, he is 8 and she is 11.

Congrats, Wyandotte103!

**edited by Staff**

Last edited by a moderator:
Help! I may have over extended my wyandotte allowance! Is that possible? The breeder said that they are like potato chips. I have one adult SLW. I have one pullet to be her buddy. Plus two GLW'S. Yesterday we were in a nearby town for an open water swim race (hubby), and I found an ad for a local breeder. She had blue lace red wyandottes, and splash for sale. I had really wanted some blues. I am not looking to show these birds, just add to my very diverse flock. We got there, and these I2 week olds are living in cages. They are much smaller than my pullets. I bought two BLR's, and one Splash. I love them, but they are smaller, and raggedy looking.

They have never been outside, and are very afraid to enter their little run. They hide in their shelter until they really need to eat/drink. Then eat/drink ravenously.

Any thoughts on how long to maintain quarantine? How long until I can free range them with the larger 12 week olds that I raised? I am thinking to incorporate them with my other pullets, then the whole crowd can go into the main coop with my three remaining adults together.

Any thoughts, or advice would be much appreciated.

Posting just so I can follow the thread.
wink.png
I want my next chicken to either be a silver or gold laced. I'm excited to read through all these pages!

Help! I may have over extended my wyandotte allowance! Is that possible? The breeder said that they are like potato chips. I have one adult SLW. I have one pullet to be her buddy. Plus two GLW'S. Yesterday we were in a nearby town for an open water swim race (hubby), and I found an ad for a local breeder. She had blue lace red wyandottes, and splash for sale. I had really wanted some blues. I am not looking to show these birds, just add to my very diverse flock. We got there, and these I2 week olds are living in cages. They are much smaller than my pullets. I bought two BLR's, and one Splash. I love them, but they are smaller, and raggedy looking.

They have never been outside, and are very afraid to enter their little run. They hide in their shelter until they really need to eat/drink. Then eat/drink ravenously.

Any thoughts on how long to maintain quarantine? How long until I can free range them with the larger 12 week olds that I raised? I am thinking to incorporate them with my other pullets, then the whole crowd can go into the main coop with my three remaining adults together.

Any thoughts, or advice would be much appreciated.
Just raise your allowance and no problem!!
gig.gif

I quarantine for two weeks and add one flock bird for two weeks. If everyone is healthy after 4 weeks they are good to go.

Delisha,
Thank you for your words.

It has been a tough day for the new pullets. They are door mats. They will not run, or do anything to protect themselves. My nine 12 week olds got through the barrier, and were in with the three newbies. They just lay there and took the attack. Got ahead, peck me to death..... Absolutely horrible. They are still alive, but they are idiots. I spoke with my local feedstore chicken lady, and she has me using vitamins in their water. She says to give them a few weeks to catch up, both size, and development.

Bought them from a "breeder". At 12 weeks old they were still on a hard surface in a small cage in the back of a garage. With the doors closed. They stand on the bedding that i use and raise their legs to stretch their feet. They do not know how to perch, and are not used to a continuous supply of fresh water, or food. My daughter wants me to advertise on craigslist not to buy from this breeder, as these birds are difficult at best. My husband says do nothing as comercial bird raisers keep them in similar conditions their whole lives. I just feel so bad for these birds.

Not sure what else to do for them, but if they don't integrate, we will have to build them their own coop/run. They will live out their lives as normal as possible. I want to go back, and save the rest. Not feasible, as she has 100+birds. She states she replaces her laying hens every year. I am hoping for 3-5 years from my girls. Hatchery, or not.

Again , any further advice would be much apreciated

Just got proof my SLW is a pullet!! So excited!
I posted her pic on here and many said Roo! Guess its hard to really tell by a picture? It's ok cause I'm happy!!

Delisha,
Thank you for your words.

It has been a tough day for the new pullets. They are door mats. They will not run, or do anything to protect themselves. My nine 12 week olds got through the barrier, and were in with the three newbies. They just lay there and took the attack. Got ahead, peck me to death..... Absolutely horrible. They are still alive, but they are idiots. I spoke with my local feedstore chicken lady, and she has me using vitamins in their water. She says to give them a few weeks to catch up, both size, and development.

Bought them from a "breeder". At 12 weeks old they were still on a hard surface in a small cage in the back of a garage. With the doors closed. They stand on the bedding that i use and raise their legs to stretch their feet. They do not know how to perch, and are not used to a continuous supply of fresh water, or food. My daughter wants me to advertise on craigslist not to buy from this breeder, as these birds are difficult at best. My husband says do nothing as comercial bird raisers keep them in similar conditions their whole lives. I just feel so bad for these birds.

Not sure what else to do for them, but if they don't integrate, we will have to build them their own coop/run. They will live out their lives as normal as possible. I want to go back, and save the rest. Not feasible, as she has 100+birds. She states she replaces her laying hens every year. I am hoping for 3-5 years from my girls. Hatchery, or not.

Again , any further advice would be much apreciated
My only advise would be.... to you and to anyone who reads this....do not get anymore of those birds unless you have a safe place and can practice safe-bio security.
Saving abused birds and killing your whole flock in the mean time is not worth the risk to save those few birds. In the end you would save nothing.
Most diseases have no signs until it is too late or until your birds have been exposed. The financial drain to get sick birds healthy is obscene. The time and emotional draining is exhausting.
Many people believe in the flock surviving or not to all exposures, but that flock is carriers and they sell those birds to guess who? You.

Have you read the horror stories on here?

In the last week I know three people on BYC who had to cull every thing because they did not have good bio security. MG is running rampent in this type of weather and many people are getting birds and selling them and breeding them with no knowledge of health issues. Or simply selling sick birds to people who do not ask questions. People do not ask the right questions, and down play runny noses and eye bubbling. Chicken do not get colds. They get diseases. Do your homework first. Do some reading. There are very few vets with chicken knowledge. That is because we as farmers never took a chicken to a vet. The thought was rediculas. I used to pay $5 for 50 chicks. It cost $18.00 for a ton of feed. If a bird got sick your vet was the hatchet. If a bird was not laying you took it to that same vet.(I still take my birds to the same vet). I have no disease, and I am lucky, because I have not been perfect about bio security. The biggest reason is I just started to bring in new birds and I have an entire different building for new birds and it is not in the same area. It is still not far enough away, but it is a good 30 feet away, behind a fence. A foot ball field is not far enough and I have to be happy with what I can do if i bring new birds on my property.

To help out the chickens you have, add calf manna to the feed and take a sample of poo to the vet. I would think they need to be wormed and need to get weight on. You can also add dry powdered milk to the top of the feed.

My only advise would be.... to you and to anyone who reads this....do not get anymore of those birds unless you have a safe place and can practice safe-bio security.
Saving abused birds and killing your whole flock in the mean time is not worth the risk to save those few birds. In the end you would save nothing.
Most diseases have no signs until it is too late or until your birds have been exposed. The financial drain to get sick birds healthy is obscene. The time and emotional draining is exhausting.
Many people believe in the flock surviving or not to all exposures, but that flock is carriers and they sell those birds to guess who? You.

Have you read the horror stories on here?

In the last week I know three people on BYC who had to cull every thing because they did not have good bio security. MG is running rampent in this type of weather and many people are getting birds and selling them and breeding them with no knowledge of health issues. Or simply selling sick birds to people who do not ask questions. People do not ask the right questions, and down play runny noses and eye bubbling. Chicken do not get colds. They get diseases. Do your homework first. Do some reading. There are very few vets with chicken knowledge. That is because we as farmers never took a chicken to a vet. The thought was rediculas. I used to pay $5 for 50 chicks. It cost $18.00 for a ton of feed. If a bird got sick your vet was the hatchet. If a bird was not laying you took it to that same vet.(I still take my birds to the same vet). I have no disease, and I am lucky, because I have not been perfect about bio security. The biggest reason is I just started to bring in new birds and I have an entire different building for new birds and it is not in the same area. It is still not far enough away, but it is a good 30 feet away, behind a fence. A foot ball field is not far enough and I have to be happy with what I can do if i bring new birds on my property.

To help out the chickens you have, add calf manna to the feed and take a sample of poo to the vet. I would think they need to be wormed and need to get weight on. You can also add dry powdered milk to the top of the feed.

I agree completely with Delisha. Bio-security is number one and you shouldn't have to risk your whole flocks safety. It is greatly upsetting to see people treat their birds like that and I have seen it. It sickens me and makes me want to save them all but I can't. I was able to save a small group but I had them recover in a different state entirely (In Ohio while main flock in Virginia). They are going to need a lot of love to understand that what has happened is good. Mine were in shock when I brought them to their new home. Mine were a bit more excited by the fact of freedom but your girls maybe scared out of their wits. If you don't have the patience or time I would try to find them a good home that understands the situation. Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom