The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

Pics
Good bye, baby roo Pecorino. He's gone - I guess a predator got him.
barnie.gif

Wanted to share an update picture! I posted not long after hatch which was April 22. Really loving this girl now! She survived a preditor attack two weeks ago yesterday. She suffered a dislocated left hip but seems to be coping with it well. I kept her inside, kenneled, for the first week and a half then started putting her out for short periods. On Monday, she made it clear she wanted back with the flock. So proud of her resilience!

A4DFC988-D82F-463B-A727-450F7A26290C-2396-000001175E7773D6.jpg

E7F5A98C-58E1-4430-881C-25BF6E6C0314-2396-0000011759852120.jpg

00C29949-4BE5-4E49-A942-2D4F49910A1F-2396-0000011753DF6555.jpg

Good bye, baby roo Pecorino. He's gone - I guess a predator got him.
barnie.gif

So sorry to hear about Pecorino :(

Wanted to share an update picture! I posted not long after hatch which was April 22. Really loving this girl now! She survived a preditor attack two weeks ago yesterday. She suffered a dislocated left hip but seems to be coping with it well. I kept her inside, kenneled, for the first week and a half then started putting her out for short periods. On Monday, she made it clear she wanted back with the flock. So proud of her resilience!

A4DFC988-D82F-463B-A727-450F7A26290C-2396-000001175E7773D6.jpg

E7F5A98C-58E1-4430-881C-25BF6E6C0314-2396-0000011759852120.jpg

00C29949-4BE5-4E49-A942-2D4F49910A1F-2396-0000011753DF6555.jpg
Pretty girl!

so sorry to hear about Pecorino!

I'm having trouble with one of my SLW's, Isabelle. She started limping little over a week ago. Then she started getting lower to the ground and was really more waddling than limping. Choosing to lay down to forage and not scratch. She tried to balance and scratch her face and couldn't. I have a flock o6 who are penned in their run 3 days a week for the majority of the day while we are all gone to work and school. When home they are able to free-range in a decent sized. I asked for insight here on BYC and went with the Poly-Vi-Sol baby vitamins, 2 drops a day. I also stopped giving kitchen scraps thinking she was filling up on those before hitting the layer mash (She's pretty low on the pecking order) So we've been giving her the vitamin drops for the past 6 days. She started to look better until yesterday. She looked miserable. She barely came out of the run, could only hop 2 steps before laying back down to rest. She laid at the bottom of the ramp to the coop and looked longingly up at the door like she wanted to go in to lay an egg as she has still been laying every few days at least. Then our other SLW who is near the top of the pecking order and can be a bully at times came in and just started ripping on poor Isabelle, we of course immediately separated them and then made a small pen to now isolate her from the flock and keep her quiet. No need to worry about fighting for food or standing to get water. She is seriously favoring her left leg. Seems to be in the hip where the trouble is. I was thinking B vitamin deficiency and am wondering if the baby vitamins are enough. Heard I could dissolve one of my Super B Complex vitamins in a gallon of water to give her, but don't know about dosage, like whether I can just replace her drinking water with this mix or if I need to just give her a few drops a day. She really is a lovely bird and I would hate to lose her but am fresh out of ideas and thought maybe someone one this thread that is breed specific might have some fresh insight. She is a large bird, the largest of our flock.

I'm having trouble with one of my SLW's, Isabelle. She started limping little over a week ago. Then she started getting lower to the ground and was really more waddling than limping. Choosing to lay down to forage and not scratch. She tried to balance and scratch her face and couldn't. I have a flock o6 who are penned in their run 3 days a week for the majority of the day while we are all gone to work and school. When home they are able to free-range in a decent sized. I asked for insight here on BYC and went with the Poly-Vi-Sol baby vitamins, 2 drops a day. I also stopped giving kitchen scraps thinking she was filling up on those before hitting the layer mash (She's pretty low on the pecking order) So we've been giving her the vitamin drops for the past 6 days. She started to look better until yesterday. She looked miserable. She barely came out of the run, could only hop 2 steps before laying back down to rest. She laid at the bottom of the ramp to the coop and looked longingly up at the door like she wanted to go in to lay an egg as she has still been laying every few days at least. Then our other SLW who is near the top of the pecking order and can be a bully at times came in and just started ripping on poor Isabelle, we of course immediately separated them and then made a small pen to now isolate her from the flock and keep her quiet. No need to worry about fighting for food or standing to get water. She is seriously favoring her left leg. Seems to be in the hip where the trouble is. I was thinking B vitamin deficiency and am wondering if the baby vitamins are enough. Heard I could dissolve one of my Super B Complex vitamins in a gallon of water to give her, but don't know about dosage, like whether I can just replace her drinking water with this mix or if I need to just give her a few drops a day. She really is a lovely bird and I would hate to lose her but am fresh out of ideas and thought maybe someone one this thread that is breed specific might have some fresh insight. She is a large bird, the largest of our flock.
I am just guessing with the little bit of information you have given.

A healthy flock does not want an ill bird. They attract predators and it is instinctive to get rid of them. It might look mean, but it is healthy.
Your removing her is good for now.
I would feed her a can of tuna over the next few days and some raw liver.
I would take a feces sample into the vets and check for worms and cocci or invest in a cheap used microscope and do your own.
Listen to her chest and see if she rattles or crackles when she breaths.
Take her temp.
Check her for mites and any ticks or lice
Check her vent and make sure it is healthy and pink

Next extend her leg slowly and gently, look at the pad of her foot and see if she might have a sore. They can get infected and go septic.

You can pm me and we can do other things if non of these show results.

I'm having trouble with one of my SLW's, Isabelle.  She started limping little over a week ago.  Then she started getting lower to the ground and was really more waddling than limping.  Choosing to lay down to forage and not scratch.  She tried to balance and scratch her face and couldn't.  I have a flock o6 who are penned in their run 3 days a week for the majority of the day while we are all gone to work and school.  When home they are able to free-range in a decent sized. I asked for insight here on BYC and went with the Poly-Vi-Sol baby vitamins, 2 drops a day.  I also stopped giving kitchen scraps thinking she was filling up on those before hitting the layer mash (She's pretty low on the pecking order) So we've been giving her the vitamin drops for the past 6 days. She started to look better until yesterday.  She looked miserable.  She barely came out of the run, could only hop 2 steps before laying back down to rest. She laid at the bottom of the ramp to the coop and looked longingly up at the door like she wanted to go in to lay an egg as she has still been laying every few days at least. Then our other SLW who is near the top of the pecking order and can be a bully at times came in and just started ripping on poor Isabelle, we of course immediately separated them and then made a small pen to now isolate her from the flock and keep her quiet.  No need to worry about fighting for food or standing to get water.  She is seriously favoring her left leg.  Seems to be in the hip where the trouble is.  I was thinking B vitamin deficiency and am wondering if the baby vitamins are enough.  Heard I could dissolve one of my Super B Complex vitamins in a gallon of water to give her, but don't know about dosage, like whether I can just replace her drinking water with this mix or if I need to just give her a few drops a day.  She really is a lovely bird and I would hate to lose her but am fresh out of ideas and thought maybe someone one this thread that is breed specific might have some fresh insight.  She is a large bird, the largest of our flock.

Just curious...have you checked her for bumble foot? I had an olive egger act just like that. She had bumble foot, I did the surgery and she recovered quickly. Keep us updated!

I am just guessing with the little bit of information you have given.

A healthy flock does not want an ill bird. They attract predators and it is instinctive to get rid of them. It might look mean, but it is healthy.
Your removing her is good for now.
I would feed her a can of tuna over the next few days and some raw liver.
I would take a feces sample into the vets and check for worms and cocci or invest in a cheap used microscope and do your own.
Listen to her chest and see if she rattles or crackles when she breaths.
Take her temp.
Check her for mites and any ticks or lice
Check her vent and make sure it is healthy and pink

Next extend her leg slowly and gently, look at the pad of her foot and see if she might have a sore. They can get infected and go septic.

You can pm me and we can do other things if non of these show results.

Just curious...have you checked her for bumble foot? I had an olive egger act just like that. She had bumble foot, I did the surgery and she recovered quickly. Keep us updated!
I understand the pecking issue. She seems much happier being removed. Less stressed about getting food and water. Her feces looks like healthy feces should. Will listen closely to her breathing but when we've been dosing her with the baby vitamins which requires getting right up in her business, she sounds fine. Nothing noticeable. Every night my daughter holds her so I can give th vitamins. While holding her I go aver her feet, both continue to be clear. I then go over her joints. She seems to flinch when I get to the hip joint. When laying (as that is about all she can do now) that left leg protrudes out, it does not get pulled in under her body. Her white feathers are starting to look dingy but I think that may be because she is not dust bathing now. The pen I have her in is small and I have a nice thick layer of shavings for her to sit on, I am cleaning it daily. She is pretty immobile at this point. Yesterday I dissolved 1 Super B Complex in 1 gallon of water and then mixed 1 cup of that water into about 3 cups of fresh water. I have added extra shelled, raw sunflower seeds to he layer mash for the vitamins too. Will add tuna to the menu starting tonight. Why tuna and raw liver? What type of liver?

Those items will give her nutrients and vitamins her body can absorb quicker than other things. It is natural and not processed. We all know and understand how good processed foods are.
hmm.png

I feed mine chicken liver, but you can use any liver you have at home. (I always have chicken liver)
wink.png

This is in raw liver besides the needed protein:

Calcium2.2mg
Iron2.5mg

Magnesium5.3mg

Phosphorus83.1mg

Potassium64.4mg

Sodium19.9mg

Zinc0.7mg

Copper0.1mg

Manganese0.1mg

Selenium15.3mcg

When I try to correct this weird looking thing it looks fine on my end..yet when I post it, it looks like each letter is posted right below the other letter. Sorry, I do not know how to fix it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom