The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

My daughter and I were looking at a book of chicken breeds and all of a sudden realized our SLW's tail does not look like the pictures in the books. She holds it much more erect than the pictures I saw. Got us wondering. Is she actually a SLW? I know her lacing isn't great either. Just figured that was likely because she was a hatchery chick (we got her from someone when she was 6 months old)

Any thoughts?

I am sure she has some Wyandotte genetics..how much is hard to say...Hatchery's breed chicks to represent the breed. They do not breed to the SOP. Some hatchery's do not even breed all the chicks and they have them sent out from other breeders and hatchery's with out knowing history of the birds. Your bird is a typical hatchery bird. It does not meet the sop. It does represent slw and when you look at her you can tell she kind of looks like one by her color. Body styles of hatchery birds are pretty close to all the same the only difference is color. Your bird looks healthy and well taken care of and that is more important than anything else.

Quote:
Hey all! Quick question! So I just put some eggs in the bator for the NYD hatch. The roo is a SLW and the hen is a EE. Just curious, is there any way the chicks will be sex linked?
Depends on the genetics and sex.
This will help more than I ever could..(see below)

http://backyardpoultry.wordpress.com/2009/04/16/sex-link-chickens-and-more/

I am sure she has some Wyandotte genetics..how much is hard to say...Hatchery's breed chicks to represent the breed. They do not breed to the SOP. Some hatchery's do not even breed all the chicks and they have them sent out from other breeders and hatchery's with out knowing history of the birds. Your bird is a typical hatchery bird. It does not meet the sop. It does represent slw and when you look at her you can tell she kind of looks like one by her color. Body styles of hatchery birds are pretty close to all the same the only difference is color. Your bird looks healthy and well taken care of and that is more important than anything else.
Thanks Delisha! That is what matters to me most too. She's happy, healthy, getting along with others (sounds like a kindergarten report card! LOL) and laying well (5 eggs a week with no additional light). And SOP or not - I think she's pretty. I actually really like the way her tail is.
love.gif

The reason Hatcheries sell the birds they do is because 1. Most are uninformed and don't know what a true SOP specimen of a breed is and 2. People don't care and they are cheap.

I won't support a puppy mill or a hatchery

Dan

The reason Hatcheries sell the birds they do is because 1. Most are uninformed and don't know what a true SOP specimen of a breed is and 2. People don't care and they are cheap.

I won't support a puppy mill or a hatchery

Dan

please don't make it difficult for new chicken keepers to ask questions. It's insulting. I bought our birds from a hatchery for good reasons. I am not looking to breed or show at this time. But I am interested in learning from experienced chicken folks. Perhaps someday I will want to do something more than enjoy my birds. Until then I will look to people who are willing to share there knowledge without insulting people who got their birds from hatcheries

Everybody makes a choice on how much research to do on the breed they are interested in, and then they make a choice on where to buy their chicks. Hatcheries sell chicks of poor quality because people will buy. The consumer usually dictates the market.

I figured it costs the same to feed one chicken versus another as well as house them, and it takes the same amount of time to take care of them.

Everyone has a choice!

Dan

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom