The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

My first two SLW chicks just hatched a couple of days ago.

Mom and Dad just after they arrived.

Last edited:
We already see a RED comb and some major chest bumping out of him!! We'll keep him until we're 100% sure! We are LOVING this breed already!

These are my first SLW but Ive had some gold laced ones years ago and just loved them, thats why I jumped at the chance for more! They laid nice eggs, handled the weather very well, and were so friendly and pretty. Wonderful birds! :)

These are my first SLW but Ive had some gold laced ones years ago and just loved them, thats why I jumped at the chance for more! They laid nice eggs, handled the weather very well, and were so friendly and pretty. Wonderful birds! :)

I just discovered the Indiana BYC site on Facebook! If you have FB and get a second, I posted (slightly blurry) photos of my sons 5 SLW's. First pic is the straight comb possible roo!

Does anyone know how long it takes a hens back feathers to grow back in after being over bred?

If you have removed all males and she is not in moult her feathers will return in a few month if she is healthy. Some hens need a better quality of food and more meat proteins. Feeds are now all vegan and chickens are omnivores. They need meat proteins to support heavy egg production and sexual activity to keep feathers and skin healthy.

If you leave her in with males, she may never get a full body of feathers again. Some quality/health of birds do not support heavy feather abuse. Most caged/battery birds are featherless.

Back
Top Bottom