The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

Proud dad and his 8 sons.
th.gif

Now that my little guys have been properly sexed. I'm very happy with my SLW cockerel(s). I'm getting overran with boys around here. But I'm not too concerned since I'm out in the country. And I really enjoy hearing all the men in the morning.

Today is my last with my silver-laced wyandotte, who's just short of 16 weeks. He started to crow about 3 weeks ago, so I knew I had to re-home him, since I live in the city and cannot keep a roo. So I advertised on craigslist as well as tried to figure out if I could eat him if I could find somewhere to process him. Finally got an appointment to process him and suddenly got two prospective buyers! So he gets to live!

This evening I finally sat to visit with him before he leaves tomorrow. And discovered how gorgeous he is! It's like I hadn't really looked at him or spoken with him in a very long time, and I realized for the first time the beauty of his plumage. His tail feathers and a lot of his lower chest/underbelly feathers are this amazing teal color, which I didn't know is part of the male of the breed. He will grow into a beautiful SLW rooster, like all the photos I had seen, but didn't realize how very standard he is. And now I must give him up, just as I'm coming to appreciate him.

And all through our time together this evening, he kept looking at me as if he could understand, and even made unusual little vocalizations while I said how sorry I am that he has to go away. As a first-time chicken owner, I really didn't understand what it is to really be aattached to a backyard pet. Now I know. I hope my Winston will be content and find chicken fulfillment at his new home. Here he is.

Back
Top Bottom