The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

0.jpg

Wondering on your thoughts on whether my SLW is a pullet or cockerel. I am hoping pullet, but since I don't have another to compare her to, she is making me nervous. They are 9 weeks old, with the exception of the 2 EE's, which are about 10 days younger. View the video in HD (you have to switch it using the little gear under the video window), it looks a lot clearer. :)

Thanks, Tina

Last edited:
0.jpg

Wondering on your thoughts on whether my SLW is a pullet or cockerel. I am hoping pullet, but since I don't have another to compare her to, she is making me nervous. They are 9 weeks old, with the exception of the 2 EE's, which are about 10 days younger. View the video in HD (you have to switch it using the little gear under the video window), it looks a lot clearer. :)

Thanks, Tina
It's hard to tell, but I'm guessing cockerel. Still pictures of the comb and wattles would help.

We have to cut down on birds, so we will have one of our SL flocks for sale. 2 roosters and 10-12 hens(or 2 smaller flocks if someone wanted less birds). PM for details. Pictures of our breeders on our web page. These are SQ-lines are direct from Foley, Flaming and Guardhouse.

I just read that Silver Laced Wyandottes can have trouble being fertile due to feathering near vent. I just got two of these birds and am hoping to breed them. I do not know this breed. Can you experts chime in on this?

I just read that Silver Laced Wyandottes can have trouble being fertile due to feathering near vent. I just got two of these birds and am hoping to breed them. I do not know this breed. Can you experts chime in on this?
Some do. If that is the case then you can trim the vent feathers on the hens. Most of the infertility issue is due to all the inbreeding more than excessive feathering.

I'll try to get a few stills tonight. They never turn out even when I hold the bird, always blurred. What makes you guess cockerel (I'm trying to learn)?

Any other opinions??

Thanks, Tina
The pinkness of the comb and wattles. Cockerels combs and wattles develop faster than pullets. They are bright pink and quite noticeable and big by about 6 weeks old, sometimes you can see it as soon as 4 weeks

The males in this pic are; the one directly in front the three behind him, the one to the right at the back, to the left at the back (this one was difficult to tell at this age but turned out to be male) and the one to the far left next to the roost. See if you can find them, once you spot it you'll be able to tell on yours it's actually easy except for the few late developers but you can almost be certain by 6-8 weeks.

I hope this helps!

The pinkness of the comb and wattles. Cockerels combs and wattles develop faster than pullets. They are bright pink and quite noticeable and big by about 6 weeks old, sometimes you can see it as soon as 4 weeks

The males in this pic are; the one directly in front the three behind him, the one to the right at the back, to the left at the back (this one was difficult to tell at this age but turned out to be male) and the one to the far left next to the roost. See if you can find them, once you spot it you'll be able to tell on yours it's actually easy except for the few late developers but you can almost be certain by 6-8 weeks.

I hope this helps!
Yes, that helps. The comb and wattles on those definitely look like my bird. I guess I'll just wait for him to crow now. I'm not allowed to have a rooster where I am, so once he starts crowing I'll have to find him another place. Or maybe I will try one of those no crow collars. :-(

Thanks again for the help!

we have the same problem with our BBS imported english orpingtons

the birds that are used for breeding get a little butt trimming

this fixes the problem of getting nothing but clear eggs

Back
Top Bottom