The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

I don't know about Foley lines but the roos usually feather out slower.
Yes, I have raised 10 roosters this summer. They were slower than the pullets to feather out, but they all were feathered out by 5 weeks.
The roos didn't have as much of a tail as the pullets.
But the 2 I have now are still not feathered out.

Hmmmm.... The lacing looks more like a roo then a hen but I can't see any saddle feathers. It isn't growing spurs either. I don't know...
lots of red on the comb..........
hide.gif

It was from a private seller who claimed to only sell purebreds. She has a pretty bug setup and a large number of birds so I trusted her. Obviously I got fooled? We only keep pets and we dont breed them so I supposed it is no big deal to us but its still disappointing.
maybe someone jumped the fence ?

Hi everyone! I'm just getting my flock started and currently have 2 SLW hens. One is laying and the other is in molt. I'm waiting for a cool spell so i can have several more pullets shipped in. However the breeder I'm getting them from is having a hard time hatching out an unrelated roo for my girls. Anyone on here know of/have a nice young roo that they don't need or want to sell? I really like Foley lines but I'm open to something else too.

Does anyone have pics of any 5 week old Foley bred silver chicks?????
I have a couple and seems like they are super slow to feather out. Is that normal for that bloodline?
Thanks

I felt like the SLW chicks we raised this year took forever to feather out - definitely slower than other varieties we've had. I think it was around 7-8 weeks before the males feathered out the very last feathers on their backs.

This is at about 7 weeks.

They are looking big and beautiful now. The slow feathering is no doubt valuable for the clean, crisp lacing.

Last edited:
I felt like the SLW chicks we raised this year took forever to feather out - definitely slower than other varieties we've had. I think it was around 7-8 weeks before the males feathered out the very last feathers on their backs.

This is at about 7 weeks.
SLW

They are looking big and beautiful now. The slow feathering is no doubt valuable for the clean, crisp lacing.
SLW are known to be slow maturing chickens. So, it seems reasonable this would apply to feathering! :)

Back
Top Bottom