The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

My 5 week old chick ( believe to be cockerel) that a sneaky hen hatched out :)

I felt like the SLW chicks we raised this year took forever to feather out - definitely slower than other varieties we've had. I think it was around 7-8 weeks before the males feathered out the very last feathers on their backs.

This is at about 7 weeks.

They are looking big and beautiful now. The slow feathering is no doubt valuable for the clean, crisp lacing.
Thanks, I sure hope the 2 I have are not cockreals!!!!!
fl.gif

But I also raised BLR and Gold laced and a couple SL from a hatchery and they featherd out pretty quick.
The 2 Foley bred chicks are about 6 weeks and not feathered out yet, but have amazing laceing coming out.

Last edited:
My poor 8 week old sl wyandotte died today. She had a cough for about 2 weeks and was on antibiotics. She acted fine up until yesterday when she stopped eating and would just stand there puffed up. I'm so sad.

She is the one in the back... RIP Gilbird.

I have a giant white Wyandotte she had some chicks sadly none of her eggs hatched but we had put other chickens eggs under her while she was broody so now we have some

Males look different. More black(less lacing) around the neck. And, they tend to feather in slower on their backs. Both your birds also, have darker combs than a cockerel would have at this age.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom