The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

Does sprinkling Diatomaceuous Earth on the coop bedding periodically keep lice infestations away? We've been doing this since day 1 and so far so good...what else is a preventative for nasty bugs like mites and lice?!? Bad enough I have to combat hawks....don't want to deal with creepy crawlies, too!!

We use Father Fixer feed by Nutrena. That is supposed to prevent mites. It won't treat them if you already have them though. It has something in it that the chicken doesn't absorb, and makes the vent area very unattractive to mites. I am wondering if we already had a start of this when we switched to this feed.

We will be cleaning out the coop today, and give the first treatment when they settle on the roosts tonight.

Does sprinkling Diatomaceuous Earth on the coop bedding periodically keep lice infestations away? We've been doing this since day 1 and so far so good...what else is a preventative for nasty bugs like mites and lice?!? Bad enough I have to combat hawks....don't want to deal with creepy crawlies, too!!

I'd be very careful using DE in an enclosed space where the chickens scratch around and are sitting or laying in the area you sprinkle it, it's really not good for their respiratory systems at all, we have used it very sparingly after cleaning the coop but before putting in fresh shavings and we've never seen mites or lice in our flock either.

Last edited:
I've been sprinkling food grade DE and Sweet PDZ Stall Refresher under their roosts mainly, once a week and then throwing a fresh layer of wood chips on top. So far, chickens seem fine, the coop literally doesn't smell in the slightest, and I haven't seen a sign of mites or lice or other bugs.
Fingers crossed!!

I've been sprinkling food grade DE and Sweet PDZ Stall Refresher under their roosts mainly, once a week and then throwing a fresh layer of wood chips on top. So far, chickens seem fine, the coop literally doesn't smell in the slightest, and I haven't seen a sign of mites or lice or other bugs.
Fingers crossed!!

I've never used the Sweet PDZ, but have heard great things about it, I might try it as well.

My TSC only carries the granulated, while most people on here talk about the powder, but it's working fine. I couldn't convince hubby to build me a tray underneath the roosts to fill with the Sweet PDZ and then scoop, like most people, but the coop smells fine and it's no trouble so far with wood chips, so it's a good compromise.

I know this isn't the right thread for this discussion, but I wanted to say thank you for all the advice on taking care of this problem. I posted a thread months ago, and the issue has only gotten worse. I thing we made greater strides in taking care of the girls today than at any time previous. We cleaned the coop per our usual, but with less bedding. That way we can change it weekly for now. Then the nest boxes got good attention. Lastly we dressed, masked, and gloved. Then we caught each one in turn and put a pinch under each arm pit and rubbed it in. Then flip, vent dusting, and recover. The ones that had bare patches got that area rubbed as well. Even my 'roo, Cecil got some lovin' rubbin'. I think he liked it. He is such a man, and takes his job seriously. My girls know they are protected. Yet he is gentle to handle. He is a bit vigorous with his attentions, but only with his favorites. I love my little flock, and I want them healthy and happy. Thanks again!

I know this isn't the right thread for this discussion, but I wanted to say thank you for all the advice on taking care of this problem. I posted a thread months ago, and the issue has only gotten worse. I thing we made greater strides in taking care of the girls today than at any time previous. We cleaned the coop per our usual, but with less bedding. That way we can change it weekly for now. Then the nest boxes got good attention. Lastly we dressed, masked, and gloved. Then we caught each one in turn and put a pinch under each arm pit and rubbed it in. Then flip, vent dusting, and recover. The ones that had bare patches got that area rubbed as well. Even my 'roo, Cecil got some lovin' rubbin'. I think he liked it. He is such a man, and takes his job seriously. My girls know they are protected. Yet he is gentle to handle. He is a bit vigorous with his attentions, but only with his favorites. I love my little flock, and I want them healthy and happy. Thanks again!

I know what you mean, I love my chickens too. Keeping them healthy and happy is a priority.

This is a great forum and all of the generous people who share their experience with everyone are just awesome. I'm very new to chicken keeping, this is our first year, but I've learned so much on this forum it's been a huge help!

Here's a picture of Shanti, the rooster that was infested with lice. He's molting right now, but he still looks great compared to what he did look like when we took him.

I don't have any roosters so it's not caused from that. I am leaning towards mites. I notice some of my other hens starting to get thin feathers in the same area. Also I gave the bald hen a coating of blu-cote, and the next day I noticed her beak and comb were a all blue, leading me to believe she is picking her own feathers. Sprinkled some seven dust under their roost, and I am going to try and give each bird a dusting of seven within the next few days. Hopefully this will help!

Back
Top Bottom