The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

yes they are only fed layers pellets and rolled barley with some supplements and oils. But these birds are also washed for shows - any washing tips for white birds?

Sunshine causes the feather to yellow. Many show people do not feed corn or maize products as it lightens the eye colour, and in breeds with ' bay ' coloured eyes that can be the difference between placing and not.
Excessive protein in the diet can cause visceral gout and organ damage, getting the feed ratio is tricky , poultry need amino acids methionine and linoleic acid to synthesis protein. Birds that are deficient in methionine have poor feather development and growth, where as excessive amounts of methionine can lead to
' heinz body Anemia ' and death. So unless you have a science degree , it is best to feed a good quality , well balanced poultry feed. Once a week my birds get cooked rice or pasta and raw eggs mixed through with sardines in olive oil to enhance feather shine.
Poorly processed fish meal can lead to thiamine deficiency and that is when you start to see wryneck in your flock. My point is , there is a science to getting it right and I belong to the KISS theory. ( keep it simple silly ). Hehe.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/p..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html

Sunshine causes the feather to yellow. Many show people do not feed corn or maize products as it lightens the eye colour, and in breeds with ' bay ' coloured eyes that can be the difference between placing and not.
Excessive protein in the diet can cause visceral gout and organ damage, getting the feed ratio is tricky , poultry need amino acids methionine and linoleic acid to synthesis protein. Birds that are deficient in methionine have poor feather development and growth, where as excessive amounts of methionine can lead to
' heinz body Anemia ' and death. So unless you have a science degree , it is best to feed a good quality , well balanced poultry feed. Once a week my birds get cooked rice or pasta and raw eggs mixed through with sardines in olive oil to enhance feather shine.
Poorly processed fish meal can lead to thiamine deficiency and that is when you start to see wryneck in your flock. My point is , there is a science to getting it right and I belong to the KISS theory. ( keep it simple silly ). Hehe.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/p..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html
Thanks for your detailed response - Much Appreciated. This is what they get:

http://www.oldmcdonald.ie/products/...hp?PHPSESSID=1e0dc5369fd6f77538441019db259f01

COMPOSITION
Wheat, Wheatfeed, Extracted Soya Bean Meal, Calcium Carbonate, Grassmeal, Full Fat Soya, Vitamins & Minerals, Soya Oil, Sel-Plex
00ae.png
Marigold and Paprika extract (Natural Yolk Pigment)

ANALYTICAL CONSTITUENTS
Protein 16%
Oil 3%
Fibre 5%
Ash 12%

Would be one of the better feeds they can be given in Ireland and the most expensive.

They are fed this with rolled barley along with some megavit and some oils. They also have a constant supply of fresh water and 4acres of grazing grass.

So I believe they are fed VERY well. They don't exactly have yellow feathers as you can see form the photo. I just wanted to know if there are any washing tips out there to get them super duper clean without being invasive. They have pulled a nice few firsts at the shows this summer :). In fact I am collecting a show winning Silver Wyandotte Rooster for these pretty girls on Saturday.

Regards,

Kayla

Thanks for your detailed response - Much Appreciated. This is what they get:

http://www.oldmcdonald.ie/products/...hp?PHPSESSID=1e0dc5369fd6f77538441019db259f01

COMPOSITION
Wheat, Wheatfeed, Extracted Soya Bean Meal, Calcium Carbonate, Grassmeal, Full Fat Soya, Vitamins & Minerals, Soya Oil, Sel-Plex
00ae.png

ANALYTICAL CONSTITUENTS
Protein 16%
Oil 3%
Fibre 5%
Ash 12%

Would be one of the better feeds they can be given in Ireland and the most expensive.

They are fed this with rolled barley along with some megavit and some oils. They also have a constant supply of fresh water and 4acres of grazing grass.

So I believe they are fed VERY well. They don't exactly have yellow feathers as you can see form the photo. I just wanted to know if there are any washing tips out there to get them super duper clean without being invasive. They have pulled a nice few firsts at the shows this summer :). In fact I am collecting a show winning Silver Wyandotte Rooster for these pretty girls on Saturday.

Regards,

Kayla
Congrats on the wins! She is beautiful.

Thanks for your detailed response - Much Appreciated. This is what they get: http://www.oldmcdonald.ie/products/...hp?PHPSESSID=1e0dc5369fd6f77538441019db259f01
COMPOSITION
00ae.png

ANALYTICAL CONSTITUENTS
Protein 16%
Oil 3%
Fibre 5%
Ash 12%

Regards,

Kayla
Sounds like they have a ' charmed ' life. The purple shampoo or bluing agent will work fine. I use it on our 25 year old pony before shows and she comes up sparkling clean. In regards to the analysis on the feed bag, I see no mention of Amino Acid and what is the actual calcium level ? If you are bringing in a rooster it is best to keep the calcium below 2% and supply calcium carbonate on ' free take ' , undercover in the run , for those that require it, ie layers. A mixed flock has different requirements to just keeping layers. I avoid soy products , all legumes deplete iodine, but some do it faster. Soy is the worst in this respect and tends to store aluminium as well. :)

Pictures, FINALLY!! As best as I know, they are both 16 weeks old as of this week. I'm pretty sure that they are both pullets. One could be a little bit older. I'm looking for your opinions, THANKS!! Don't care, I'm keeping them both.

Last edited:
Pictures, FINALLY!! As best as I know, they are both 16 weeks old as of this week. I'm pretty sure that they are both pullets. One could be a little bit older. I'm looking for your opinions, THANKS!! Don't care, I'm keeping them both.
My guest would be both pullets as my 12 week old gold laced cockeral has a much bigger comb and wattles compared to those 2. Hes a very obvious cockeral lol!

I read somewhere that to sex SLW, that I need to wait till their saddle/hackle feathers come in.  What exactly am I looking for to determine if it's a cockerel?
If the feathers are pointed at the end it is a cockerel and it the feathers are rounded it is a hen. I've used this method and been almost 100% right each time. Good luck ;)

Very interesting. I'm just happy to have them. I don't think that I would have gone shopping for this breed, but they fit my criteria, as tough and cold tolerant and good dual purpose birds. I love my blue eggs, but--don't tell my other hens--I think that these are my prettiest birds.

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I am looking for big, fluffy, breeder-quality chicks or eggs near Albany, NY. Have had wonderful success hatching my own eggs, so would be fine doing that.
Any leads? The fatter and fluffier and more defined lacing, the better!!

Sarah

Back
Top Bottom