The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

There are so many things to cull for to try to get the best birds. I hope I can explain what I wondering. My questions for everyone is when going through your birds to pick the best ones what is the order of things you look for? This is hard for me to explain what I mean. What is the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, reason you cull is leg color, comb shape (other than an obvious straight comb), body shape, head size, lacing, etc. I have the book from Foley and the APA Standard Book but they do not say in what order do you cull for or what to keep because it can be bred out.

So you're saying basically what is the most important reason to cull, second most important reason, etc. regarding common flaws? Because if that is your question, I don't think there is a single most important aspect on a show bird. All are important because they all go into the overall look of the bird. If a bird has nice, well defined lacing but a wrong conformation, then obviously its not fit for show. You could either cull that, or try and breed it out over generations. A lot of breeders i know tackle one aspect at a time, i.e. focus on well defined lacing one year, then next confirmation, then next leg color, and so on. It never really ends, because there is no such thing as an absolutely perfect bird.

Last edited:
Thank you so much "Forgetful". That was exactly what I am looking for. I finally have a rooster from Foley and want to breed the best I can. What order does everyone else cull in?

Hello! I have chicks coming in march for a backyard flock including one golden laced wyandotte. My husband surprised me this weekend with a coop and with it came two roosters that are silver laced wyandottes, 18 months old. Is there a way to tell for sure that is what they are? I read a lot about raising hens, but I was not planning on a rooster so I'm lost. Can I let them free range in a new place, but still get them back in the coop at night for their safety? I assume my hens will need their own coop until they are fully grown, and then can I only introduce one rooster or both? I have read that I need to dust them for mites and lice and put deworming drops in their water since they came from another farm so I got those items at Southern states today. Any advice or suggestions for a newbie to backyard chickens and to this breed would be much appreciated! Thank
you!!!!
[/IMG]

Last edited:
I have never had any problem introducing a single rooster to a flock of hens withOUT any roosters, no matter what the breed. I was given two SLW pullets, now layers, who were hatched June 1, 2015. They are good layers and cold hardy.

Hello! I have chicks coming in march for a backyard flock including one golden laced wyandotte. My husband surprised me this weekend with a coop and with it came two roosters that are silver laced wyandottes, 18 months old. Is there a way to tell for sure that is what they are? I read a lot about raising hens, but I was not planning on a rooster so I'm lost. Can I let them free range in a new place, but still get them back in the coop at night for their safety? I assume my hens will need their own coop until they are fully grown, and then can I only introduce one rooster or both? I have read that I need to dust them for mites and lice and put deworming drops in their water since they came from another farm so I got those items at Southern states today. Any advice or suggestions for a newbie to backyard chickens and to this breed would be much appreciated! Thank you!!!!
[/URL]
The roo on the left with the tall comb is not a pure SLW. Looks almost like a barred cuckoo something. The one on the right looks to be pure.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom