The Silver Laced Wyandotte Thread

With the mixed emotions of sadness and relief I gave up my 2 cockerels. The farmer kept his word and even took them one week ahead of schedule but it was harder than I thought it would be. I think the bond that formed with all the TLC given is quite powerful.

At least you know they're going to a good home and not someones dinner.

Here's a little girl named Sue we are adding to our mixed flock.

@seolari
 I'm sorry! :hugs

Three times we've had to rehome boys. Two of them were hatched in our house & hand fed until they were full sized roosters. The third was a cockerel that we'd picked up at 2 days old & raised till he was about 8wks. We spent a lot of time making sure they went to good homes, but all three have been a heart wrenching experience for us. My heat goes out to you & your family.
So true. Thank you so much for the kind words.

Since you are new to chickens, please go onto threads with meat chicken owners. The average age of a chicken is 3yo. MOST of us that butcher our birds, and YES, we butcher a lot more roosters than hens, take GOOD CARE of our roosters, too!
I suggest that the next time that you buy your birds that you purchase ONLY hen chicks. Hatcheries are excellent are telling the difference when they hatch out.
This will save you the heartache in the future.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Since you are new to chickens, please go onto threads with meat chicken owners. The average age of a chicken is 3yo. MOST of us that butcher our birds, and YES, we butcher a lot more roosters than hens, take GOOD CARE of our roosters, too!
I suggest that the next time that you buy your birds that you purchase ONLY hen chicks. Hatcheries are excellent are telling the difference when they hatch out.
This will save you the heartache in the future.
hugs.gif

My guess is it was a straight run. Also, vent sexing is accurate but not 100% perfect. Even if you order all pullets you may end up with a little cockerel. Happened to me before.

Since you are new to chickens, please go onto threads with meat chicken owners.  The average age of a chicken is 3yo.  MOST of us that butcher our birds, and YES, we butcher a lot more roosters than hens, take GOOD CARE of our roosters, too!
I suggest that the next time that you buy your birds that you purchase ONLY hen chicks.  Hatcheries are excellent are telling the difference when they hatch out.
This will save you the heartache in the future.  :hugs  
I don't doubt that you or most of the meat chicken owners take care of your birds. And if you would go back to my previous posts you will see the story behind those 2 cockerels and that in fact I did purchase them in a bin market pullets. The breeders might be quite good at determining the sex of the chicks but the intention of the store you buy them at must be above bored. We have a Rural King store where I live that is quiet frankly managed like a freak show. If I was so inclined towards activesam that would be something that I would like to address, but I am not. Nevertheless thank for your suggestion and the time you took to reply to me.

Back
Top Bottom