The Sizzle Thread!

Pics
here is a picture of a frizzled silkie, fluffy but kinky fluff.
if you have a bird not showing frizzle, then I believe, and I may be wrong to think this way, that it's fine to use them. it may not really care the frizzle gene, remember 1/2 the genes from each parent. this bird is one silkie parent and one curly parent but the curly had a silkie parent as well.

Thankyou!

Is it easy to tell if you have a frizzled silkie? Mine is basically a ball of fluff so nothing looks frizzled till you get to the tail and wing feathers and then I'm not so sure. It doesn't obviously look curled like the sizzles though. Those longer feathers just look kinda messy I guess.

And the possible brother/sister doesn't matter?

Last edited:
I have a sizzle pullet that went broody and is raising 5 bantam chicks. Only 1 is hers, the others another breed. I have a question to those that have raised chicks under a sizzle. Due to their feathers, do they tend to have more difficulty keeping chicks warm? I have noticed reocurring pasty butts, which didn't seem to show up on another clutch that was hatched by another hen (breed) recently. Having said that, the pasty butt didn't seem to show up on the 1 chick that was from the sizzle pullet. BTW, our temps can go to single digits overnight.
Thanks.

I give my chicks that have any digestive issues, hard boiled eggs, they seem to come out of it pretty quickly.

I have a sizzle pullet that went broody and is raising 5 bantam chicks. Only 1 is hers, the others another breed. I have a question to those that have raised chicks under a sizzle. Due to their feathers, do they tend to have more difficulty keeping chicks warm? I have noticed reocurring pasty butts, which didn't seem to show up on another clutch that was hatched by another hen (breed) recently. Having said that, the pasty butt didn't seem to show up on the 1 chick that was from the sizzle pullet. BTW, our temps can go to single digits overnight.
Thanks.

I am just getting into my sizzle project, and I have a question! I recently hatched a frizzled silkie, and am wondering if it is usable in my quest to hatch sizzles or if it will just give me more frizzled silkies?

I am just getting into my sizzle project, and I have a question!  I recently hatched a frizzled silkie, and am wondering if it is usable in my quest to hatch sizzles or if it will just give me more frizzled silkies?

Your sizzles have all the traits of silkies just with frizzled feathers. I am assuming you frizzled silkie I a sizzle. Here is my sizzle roo.
8DD97198-6F19-4D4A-8BEB-A01B00641A97-5362-0000063F1020C7E8_zpse899fc31.jpg

8EE0DDE9-F80F-4B90-AB7B-5CFA1BBAC300-3093-0000032FF088DF81_zps51d09772.jpg

Your sizzles have all the traits of silkies just with frizzled feathers. I am assuming you frizzled silkie I a sizzle. Here is my sizzle roo.

Mine is most definitely a frizzled silkie, not a sizzle. A sizzle has barbed feathers. Mine has the silkie feathering, but looks like the one posted yesterday:

Quote:

Is it worth keeping and using in my sizzle project? Or will it just produce more frizzled silkies?

Last edited:
Mine is most definitely a frizzled silkie, not a sizzle. A sizzle has barbed feathers. Mine has the silkie feathering, but looks like the one posted yesterday: Quote:
here is a picture of a frizzled silkie, fluffy but kinky fluff. if you have a bird not showing frizzle, then I believe, and I may be wrong to think this way, that it's fine to use them. it may not really care the frizzle gene, remember 1/2 the genes from each parent. this bird is one silkie parent and one curly parent but the curly had a silkie parent as well.
Is it worth keeping and using in my sizzle project? Or will it just produce more frizzled silkies?
I did not see that picture(adorable haha) I as well am a "beginner" in my sizzle project, i have my sizzle roo and he runs with my silkie hens as well as a few smooths, this will be MY first generation of hatching, though his previous owner did get wonderful resulting sizzles with him.... but any who I assume if you used your frizzled silkie in your breeding program your outcomes can vary, for example you could possibly throw some sizzles, frizzled silkies, and smooths. If I am assuming right your frizzled silkies and smooth will be greater then your sizzles(If they are bred to a sizzle, smooth or not) your chances will be greatly less if you do your frizzled silkie to another frizzled(which I wouldn't do) then you would have to breed back your resulting smooths and sizzles for the next generation and so forth until you get what you desire. In short- I personally would not use the chick because of all the back breeding, but I guess it all depends on how much work you are willing to put in. I am by far a genetic expert this is just my opinion/assumption and I hope it helps you. Maybe someone who better understands the squares can chime in:)

Mine is most definitely a frizzled silkie, not a sizzle. A sizzle has barbed feathers. Mine has the silkie feathering, but looks like the one posted yesterday: Quote:
here is a picture of a frizzled silkie, fluffy but kinky fluff. if you have a bird not showing frizzle, then I believe, and I may be wrong to think this way, that it's fine to use them. it may not really care the frizzle gene, remember 1/2 the genes from each parent. this bird is one silkie parent and one curly parent but the curly had a silkie parent as well.
I did not see that picture(adorable haha) I as well am a "beginner" in my sizzle project, i have my sizzle roo and he runs with my silkie hens as well as a few smooths, this will be MY first generation of hatching, though his previous owner did get wonderful resulting sizzles with him.... but any who I assume if you used your frizzled silkie in your breeding program your outcomes can vary, for example you could possibly throw some sizzles, frizzled silkies, and smooths. If I am assuming right your frizzled silkies and smooth will be greater then your sizzles(If they are bred to a sizzle, smooth or not) your chances will be greatly less if you do your frizzled silkie to another frizzled(which I wouldn't do) then you would have to breed back your resulting smooths and sizzles for the next generation and so forth until you get what you desire. In short- I personally would not use the chick because of all the back breeding, but I guess it all depends on how much work you are willing to put in. I am by far a genetic expert this is just my opinion/assumption and I hope it helps you. Maybe someone who better understands the squares can chime in:)

Wouldn't it just depend what you bred it to?

So frizzle Cochin to smooth silkie = sizzle
Or smooth Cochin to frizzle silkie = sizzle

Both ways at the end you still get the same amount of straight, frizzle and silkie genes in the mixing pot :)?

Wouldn't it just depend what you bred it to?

So frizzle Cochin to smooth silkie = sizzle
Or smooth Cochin to frizzle silkie = sizzle

Both ways at the end you still get the same amount of straight, frizzle and silkie genes in the mixing pot :)?
I think you are correct; however, I'm not using cochins in my breeding. I have a sizzle hen that is bred with my buff silkie roo. This will give me regular silkies, frizzled silkies, smooth sizzles, and sizzles. I know that the next step is to take one of the smooth sizzle roosters and breed him back to his mom. This would give me a good amount of sizzles.

I would obviously keep all my sizzles, and can start the process all over again with them and another rooster.

My question is, should I keep the frizzled silkies and work them into the breeding program some how? My only idea is to pair them with a smooth sizzle. Crossing them back to silkies would just give me more silkie type feathering correct?

Back
Top Bottom