The Sizzle Thread!

I think they're amazing! I'm not sure what you'd call their color, but the frizzle almost looks like a washed out red Pyle. I would at least use them in some test breeding to see what comes from them!

Thank you! I think I will use them, I've decided I'm going to try the parents again and see if I can get some more of this color, maybe I can breed it into more correct sizzles
smile.png

Just went and picked up this Polish X Silkie Frizzle. I saw one picture and couldn't resist. Now fingers crossed it keeps looking like a pullet. I've already had to give away one sizzle.

WOW, thats a big barn you're building! Im currently designing our sizzle breeding pens. But, Im aiming much smaller for now. Of course it keeps growing everyday. Id love to see pictures of your barn and pens if you dont mind sharing. And Im loving those color combos, I need to learn more about the partridge cuckoo and breeding because I have 1 surprise pullet and she is gorgeous, so I would love to work on breeding that color more. Right now Im mainly focusing on porcelain, partridge, silver partridge/greys and cuckoo. And my son is doing a random sizzle breeding project. I better limit how much I talk to you because you're going to make me want ALOT more!
gig.gif
Seriously, lavender cuckoo!!! Mottleds!!! I have silkie envy
smile.png
With lavender cuckoo is it simply breeding lavender to cuckoo and saving some of those chicks (would they be split?) then breeding those chicks back to lavender? Im guessing some would be cuckoo some not, and some lavender some not. I may be way off on this, but Im very interested. I won't even try to start with mottleds, but I will be watching for pairs/eggs in the future. Is Facebook the best way to find sizzles/silkies and see some of the color projects out there?
yeah i agree Facebook is a great way to find good eggs, chicks and adult birds :) and yup your on the right track!! i should cut back on my project and will in the future i'm sure but love my project its hard to say no more and even harder to cut projects....

lavender cuckoo is simply breeding lavender to cuckoo, but since lavender is recessive (both parent have to have genes for it) it will take two generations. well unless your starting with two lavenders. i decided to take a step back to get the project started on the right foot. one of the biggest problems with lavender is off coloring in the boys neck and hackle feathers.So i grew out both lavender silkie and cochin but as it go's you grow out 20 birds and only find a tiny amount of workable birds i ended up 2!! both with clear color, a lavender cuckoo cochin Roo and a clear colored lavender silkie Roo.
the lavender cuckoo cochin is going to be paired with 3 cuckoo frizzled silkie pullets. the offspring will all be sizzle both frizzled and smooth & f1's all split to lavender most should be cuckoo (because both parents are cuckoo)
and then the lavender silkie boy will go with frizzled and smooth blacks sizzles for split to lavenders. later the off spring of the two groups can be paired together and in the second generation i should get a hand full of lavender and lavender cuckoo.
the bonus of adding lavender to cuckoo is it has been the only gene proven to darken the skin of a cuckoo. cuckoo gene (barring) restricts the skin and comb pigment. lavender will not give you black skin but adding lavender will make skin a gray/blue in color and thats a good improvement in my book!!

and mottled is easy!! if your starting from scratch a good mottled cochin is by far the best start point! mate mottled cochin to black silkie, 100% of the chicks will look black, and 3/4ths of the chicks will be split to mottled (but still look solid black) mate these birds together and you should end up with a mix of mottled & a few blacks that carry for mottling in both sizzle feathers and silkie feathering/ cull (pet home) out all but your best birds, rinse and repeat :). once you have both parent with silkie feathers and mottled coloring all the chicks will hatch out both mottled and silkie. the biggest issue to battle with this color is the skin pigment tends to also be mottled.

so happy my barn is going up but man is it taking FOREVER!!! i don't have recent pictures but heres a couple pictures of the barn from a week or two ago.

What do you guys think of this? The mother is a paint silkie, father is black breasted red sizzle. What would I call this? What could I use this for, if anything? I have this smooth feathered one and a frizzle the same color/pattern. They were both birds I planned to sell as pet quality, but I am wondering if I can use this in a paint breeding project? Am I correct in assuming her dominant white genotype is Ii because of the red leakage? If this were bred to say black, could it possibly result in paints?

pretty babies!!
i wouldn't hesitate to use them for red pyle project. but not sure if i would take a chance in using them for paint. paint tends to have an issue with red/yellow brassy tones in their feathers and this might add to the problems to your line. it might take longer to breed that color out than start over. you might have better luck if you find a solid black sizzle boy for your paint hen or a black with silver leakage would be great too.
but i know not always possible to add more pens and harder to add more roo's, so do whats best for you!
loving the colors, very nice!!

Hello..i just read...'Facebook is a great way to find good eggs, chicks and adult birds' and wanted to ask where on facebook....what is the name to look up?
HI littleRedCoop53
join sites like sizzle breeders chat, silkies for sale in the US, silkies sale. they are great starts in finding birds for sale.
if your looking for a specific color verity, search for it! most likely there is a site already set up for the color. Cuckoo's, Gray's, Paint's, Lavenders and so on all have their own page and dedicated groups of breeders willing to help you find what your looking for. warning birds tend to sell quickly if you don't act quick they will usually sell with in the same day they are posted. oh and ask about shipping cost before you post sold, it can vary from $20 to ship to $100 depending on who's shipping and from where.
sites like the silkie site, are just great for all around health and breeding info.
good luck!!

Just went and picked up this Polish X Silkie Frizzle. I saw one picture and couldn't resist. Now fingers crossed it keeps looking like a pullet. I've already had to give away one sizzle.

i'm not making any promises but looks like this chick has "girl" coloring!
not a guarantee, but there is a good chance that its a pullet!! :)

i'm not making any promises but looks like this chick has "girl" coloring!
not a guarantee, but there is a good chance that its a pullet!! :)
Well he had some other polish chicks and the roos were OBVIOUS roos and this one we both thought looked a lot like a pullet so that's what we are hoping for.

Back
Top Bottom