the sultan thread

Nugget finally laid an egg today! She's 28 weeks now. She was checking out the nesting boxes first thing this morning, then I found an egg out in the run. The rest of the girls lay in the nesting boxes exclusively, so it had to be Nugget's. It's small and whitish pink like my Silkie's eggs. When the rest of the flock started laying some of them would lay where ever they happened to be in the run at the time.

On another note, I lost my California Gray chicken, Smokey. She was the youngest and smallest of the flock and very flighty. I screwed up when I clipped her wings and clipped both sides. She started jumping the fence about 2 weeks ago. She could jump from the ground up over the top of the 6 foot fence. I came home from work a few days ago and she was gone. I looked everywhere, but think something must have got her. We have no predators in my neighborhood, besides cats and dogs, so I'd guess a dog got her. :( Either that, or there's a little gray and white chicken wandering around my town!

Wow Jharper, you've been having horrible luck!
sad.png
And Olivesmama, sorry about your chicken Smokey
hugs.gif

Slippers has developed a habit of finding any small area with mud and prancing around in it, so he's been getting his feet SO dirty! It's been caking on to them, and getting some little rocks caught up in it too. So I've had to be giving him little foot baths to loosen it up. He seems to really enjoy that though.

I can't help but cuddle with him whenever I can haha!

Oh, the things we do for our chickens! I've been considering trimming Nuggets foot feathers. She kind of hops around tripping over them because they are so long. Anyone do this?

How do you guys deal with broken bloody foot feathers? Slippers broke TWO feathers, one on each foot today. He was bleeding pretty good but not horribly. We plucked one of them out and that one stopped bleeding. Although I'm worried about it starting again/ if we got the whole feather. On the other foot once we stopped the initial bleeding I couldn't tell what feather it was so I just left that one. Any advice? He scared me to death!

Last edited:
Thanks Fishnet! Yours are adorable as well! I love the last photo you posted.. she looks beautiful! I really want to get some girls.

Slippers got lots of cuddles this weekend. He even manages to look good with blue kote on his feet! I think my obsession with him has reached an unhealthy level LOL

Back
Top Bottom