the sultan thread

I have tried several times to obtain sultans here in state but am not succeeding. So... byc to the rescue. Given my location does anyone have suggestions? I would prefer eggs so that I can hatch and raise them myself ... and keep my NPIP standing.

I have tried several times to obtain sultans here in state but am not succeeding. So... byc to the rescue. Given my location does anyone have suggestions? I would prefer eggs so that I can hatch and raise them myself ... and keep my NPIP standing.
I'm so sorry, I can't help there! I don't even know of any sultan breeders at all anymore :( My eggs aren't very fertile or I'd send you some. Charlie can't spend much time with the girls because the neighbors are always complaining if he crows, and he always crows
he.gif
And when he IS with the girls, he seems to have trouble figuring out how to mount them
lau.gif

Fishnet, your girls are amazing, I adore them! I can see you do too! LOL. It's been so hot here, the girls are laying amazingly small eggs now, almost the size of large Serama eggs :( Still good that they are laying though. Today it starts to be a bit cooler, only 95. Hopefully the size will get bigger again??

Thanks. I knew it was a long shot perusing this thread and seeing how many of you were no where near me. I know there are at least two folks out this way with them but they are off the radar and I just can't get them to sell to me. I had an arrangement this spring. We had a power outage while they were incubating and I never heard back after that. Then someone posted a three hens to go as a group early last month and no response to my interest. I did see a lovely bantam Sultan, ONE, at the North East Poultry Congress but of course I don't know whose that was. I do have the list here somewhere. Maybe I will try that as a last resort. I don't see the sense in buying from a hatchery. I would really like the larger of the Sultans, even though they are the smallest LF out there :)

Those girls above are lovely.

Yes, mine were from Ideal. I suspect, no matter where you get your sultans from, they will require a lot of work and investment in time to get them up to SOP. Just like my Crevecoeurs, which are the birds I've chosen to work on, they have many problems and almost no breeders. Mine are from Ideal, got them with the sultans which I thought would be what I was going to work on, but fell in love with the Creves. I may still try working with my sultans some day... but right now, they're egg layers for me :) And good little ones at that (except their eggs shrunk in this heat!)

Anyway, I'm not sure you'd get birds closer to the SOP hatching a "breeder's" eggs. I mean, unless they've been dedicated to the breed for many years, and I just don't know anyone like that??

I agree Cluck. I have been doing a lot of looking around now that I have totally fallen in love with the Sultan breed and have found very little on them. I wish I had the guts and gusto you guys have to start a breeding program and go through all the work to perfect the breed. Wish I had the time to dedicate to them. Who knows, maybe in 14 years 2 months and 4 days when I retire I can devote my time to them. Not that I am counting... lololol

I'm not sure how a breeding program will work out here, I need to build another coop to make It work, and I'm pooped out, LOL. Can't do it in the heat of summer anyway, so I'll just rest up until the fall when I'll build my last coop.... or two, LOL

I have 3, but I'll need one to grow out cockerels...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom