the sultan thread

[/IMG]

Hello again Sultan lovers... guess what? On a whim I ordered a few more sultan eggs from a different vendor and now have two chicks! I have a question: are these birds at all dimorphic? I ask because one is much more grey than the other. Already one has a bigger crest knob. Any thoughts on this?

Mine was of little Toria at 3 months too. The look identical except for mine all wet.

She was dirty as ever with mud all over her feet, leggs, belly and tail. I started letting them free range and the wet grass has cleaned them up a lot.

Thank goodness ity a girl... She shall be named Pipa after Kelly Ripa who said if she didn't live in the city she would have chickens. She also said she likes the fluffy feather footed. So tgete you go.... Pipa she is.

Quote: I think that sultans X silkies make gorgeous babies, but the silky gene will get mixed up in there, so will the comb. But the birds will be very pretty :)

Oh law I knew y'all would ask for that. We have gotten so much rain my poor birds are a mess especially the white. I will get one this afternoon when I get home. Just don't hold their dirty feet against me.
LOL, we get NO rain, and my birds look absolutely terrible right now! One has a messy butt! Why? I don't know, but today I saw it and am thinking of giving her a bath but I can't stand the heat right now
hide.gif
I can barely feed and water the birds without fainting! I really hate summer!

we dont care about dirty!!! ours all all that way right now too. well, except Clucks. Hers are always clean and shiney.
th.gif
You can't be talking about mine! Oh no, they look absolutely horrible. Most have lost their beards, and are molting, with feathers all worn out and DIRTY! I think they take baths in their water then roll around or something??? Can't say as I blame them though, it's HOT!

If it makes you feel anybetter, here is my VIctoria after a storm.

lau.gif
That's what mine look like only no storm! They stick their heads in their fermented feed (wet) and probably take baths in their water, LOL

These aren't the best pics. I took them from my phone.
I say girl too :)

Hello again Sultan lovers... guess what? On a whim I ordered a few more sultan eggs from a different vendor and now have two chicks! I have a question: are these birds at all dimorphic? I ask because one is much more grey than the other. Already one has a bigger crest knob. Any thoughts on this?
They have about a 50/50 chance at a grey down, which is some kind 'o I don't know, forgot what it's called, but a gene in there that only shows up in the down. It will still be white when it grows up. Congrats on the babies :)

On a very very sad note, I'm devastated because our neighbor was so angry hearing the birds, he came down and yelled at us. I honestly thought I had them plenty quiet? I don't know how he could hear the birds, in the house, in a dog crate with a blanket on them. Their house is at least 50 feet away from ours (flag lot), and the neighbors on the other side are 10 feet away but hear nothing. So anyway, we ended up giving away all of our boys. Every last one. I think my husband has a great book he is finishing, and if it sells, he promised me we'll move where I can raise chickens in solitude. I hope it'll be Washington, but it might be Texas (still too hot for me though!) At least I have Charlies one and only offspring, and she better be a girl!!!!

I think I could read through some of this thread to find the grey down and what it means but 155 pgs right now with everything else.... uh, if there were an answer or a quick link from some merciful person I would appreciate that :) I don't know that I will go on to breed, but because a piece of my having rare birds here is that I educated my kids and others, so the more I know the more I can share. Is there another thread or is this it??

Congrats about the book. That sounds very exciting. You know... Maine is pretty bird friendly and a lot like Washington ;)

Back
Top Bottom