The Sussex thread!

If your question is directed at me. I definitely mean silver sussex. If they were coronation, it would be much easier to explain. This is the big mystery that I don't understand how I got what I got.

Hi, I think I have an answer for you on the birds color . Look up fancy feathers farm on the net. They explain it. Fffhas coronation silver Sussex . I think that is what you have. Ultra rare . Came out of green fire farms breeding program. Do not discard. Appear to be very
Very valuable
Karen. My computer is down. Sending from my phone.

Hi, I think I have an answer for you on the birds color . Look up fancy feathers farm on the net. They explain it. Fffhas coronation silver Sussex . I think that is what you have. Ultra rare . Came out of green fire farms breeding program. Do not discard. Appear to be very
Very valuable
Karen. My computer is down. Sending from my phone.

Thanks,
I sent them a message to see if they have some better pictures of their bird. I only saw one picture that was pretty vague. I also think that the way they listed them as silver coronation is incorrect, from what I understand is that the breed colors are light sussex, coronation Sussex, speckled sussex, and silver sussex. There may be a couple others too. Whereas the coronation is just a light Sussex with the lavender dilution gene on the black. Maybe? I think? I'm not good with colors, but I think the silver has the recessive black ground color with silver replacing the black in the hackles etc. Maybe?
Rob

I don,t know Rob. Light is my color in Sussex. The thing that got my attention was that GFF crossed Thier lights with silver's and then these silver coronations showed up. Or was it coronations with silver's? Their webpage explains it if you click on the silver Wyandotte's icon. They have the CSS and the SW icons reversed. What I am thinking is maybe your birds are descended from the GFF crossed and are split for colors. Just a guess based on Thier webpage. Best, karen

If you get stuck on the colors look for NYC Nick's , eggheadjr , and Marvin who is nicalandia . Both are very expert on color genetics and very helpful. Best, karen

If you get stuck on the colors look for NYC Nick's , eggheadjr , and Marvin who is nicalandia . Both are very expert on color genetics and very helpful. Best, karen

Thank you,
I did find some info that explains what's going on here. What I get out of it is that in a nutshell, the light sussex is actually based on a silver ground color that makes the white look better, and because my birds are directly from greenfire, they are most likely splits. That being said, the silver is actually dominant, and the inhibitor genes that make the light sussex show white are absent in the silver birds. There is also wheaton genes somehow involved in the sussex breed. Now I don't want anyone nit picking me about what I just said, more info would be good, but the point is that I've got the gist of it. I have to let this info sink in slowly so that my head doesn't explode. Lol. As it turns out this wasn't as big of a mystery as I thought. All help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Rob

Hi all, if i remember correctly GF was crossing them at one time and a couple of birds were sent out that were not supposed to. They were trying to get them back but was to late and the gig was up. I think you might even get a platinum at some point.

Hello Sussex breeders! I absolutely LOVE the look of Speckled Sussex chickens. What would be the genotype for a Speckled Sussex? I'm thinking e^b/e^b, Mh/Mh and s+/s+? Maybe mo/mo?

Or do Speckled Sussex have their own allele of extension of black?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom