The Sussex thread!

It depends on age. So far the comb is pale, so that's a good sign. Usually around 6 weeks the males' combs turn pink & start to grow while the females' combs stay the same pale color.
Thanks my guess is she was 4 weeks when dropped off (first pic) and I've had her for little over 5 weeks so about 9 weeks is my guess (second picl

I have show quality bantam speckled Sussex purchased from a reputable breeder...I have raised large fowl speckled Sussex in the past and did very well with them. With this bantam line I am finding things I did not encounter with the large fowl. I have had overall very good color...but I have two young females out of the ones i hatched with this odd coloring. Is this common? The rest of my young ones are all dark as they should be. Should I count these two as just oddities and get rid of them? I did notice these two seem to have grown much slower than the others. Any thoughts? Here's a pic of what I am talking about color wise.
2028.jpeg

emmyn,
I would set these 2 birds aside and contact Jackie at Skytop in Florida. She is a APA Master Breeder of Bantam Speckled Sussex. As far as I know the entire SQ gene pool of bantam Speckled Sussex is related. If these birds are off-colored, it seems to me it would be a good idea to set them aside. This tri-colored variety is the hardest Sussex color to breed. It takes much time to get it right. Personally, I would be leery of adding anything but proper coloring into the gene pool. But ask Jackie. She can tell you.
Best,
Karen and the Light Sussex in western PA, USA

Hi,
Well it's been a long winter. Lost one hen. Have one cock, one cockerel, 3 pullets and 2 hens. Picking up 3 more mature adults this month. Looking forward to hatching later next month. It is a late season but think I will see some nice chicks. These ill be pure Silver wheaten. No Blue or Lavender in the birds.
Best, Karen and the Light Sussex in western PA, USA

Back
Top Bottom