The Tetra Tint thread.. (Photos, info) ❤

Pics
I think it's about to happen! She's been pacing back and forth in the coop and going in and out of the nest box for the past hour.

you should have eggs for the morning!!!

I hope so! She did this for an hour and a half before she hopped back into the run and started dust bathing like nothing was going on. So far, she is the only one who seems close to laying an egg, I guess the others are just late bloomers.

We have eggs! There were two of them, so I'm not sure who laid the other since only one has a big red comb and has been acting like she is ready to lay. Is it possible she laid them both?

nope....that would be a super chicken!!!...its takes at least 23 to 24 hours for a chicken to lay one egg!...

congrats to the new egg layers. hope everyone is enjoying the fruits of their labors. Out of six hens I get four eggs a day.due to one that is constantly broody and one that is coming out of molt.

I bought a dozen "White Leghorns", from a lady who didn't know her chickens very well, or didn't care. Eight out of the twelve turned out to be Tints. They are laying now and have produced light cream to light brown eggs. They are a very nice chicken, but not what I wanted so I am selling them. My problem is, I have Jersey Giants and they lay very similar colored eggs to the Tints. The reason I wanted Leghorns, they lay a white egg, which is obviously different than the Giants, so there would be no confusion when I wanted eggs for the incubator. My Tints are a White Chicken with shades of a Yellow/Tan on different parts of their bodies. Some do turn out predominately White with little to no color. Like I said, a very nice chicken, just not what I wanted.

Cadeschicks,
Hens are NOT Supposed to lay more than 1 egg/day. I like knowing that as goldie99 states above, every 23-24 hours 1 egg. I have an EE hen that lays a double-yolk egg 2-3 Xs/month. This is not supposed to happen either. This means there is a little mis-fire in the reproductive system. Well this same EE hen has 2-3 times over the past year layed 2 eggs in one day- 1 early in the am & 1 late in the pm. I know b/c of the color of her egg shells. The 2nd egg is usually a little lighter blue and the shell is somewhat less firm than the 1st eggs shell.

Back
Top Bottom