The Tetra Tint thread.. (Photos, info) ❤

Pics
I just got two chicks from TSC what were sold to me as Leghorns. I know that at least one of them is not because it has black specks but I got it anyways cause it was soooo cute. I am pretty sure it is a tetra tint. I am still hoping that the other one is a leghorn tho.

I have been breeding my tetras back to a rir and finding the chicks are looking mostly the same as the tetras did as chicks,accept a couple are black with very deep red highlights

I just got 6 Tetra Tints today. I am checking out information about them. Thanks for the info!
thumbsup.gif

This is my 6 TT i got in March of 2011

Out of them I had one die of god knows what. Here is a picture of three of them at the beginning of Dec. Haven't taken any pictures lately

They lay a jumbo+ light brown eggs.

They handled be stuck in the coop pretty much all winter. Lots of snow and cold temps. I am guilty of shoveling a spot in the run so they would come out of the coop. And they would reluctantly walk in the snow to come to the house door for treats

wee.gif
Just got 5 Tetra tints & decided to get 1 PR. I heard about the TT's here. TS in Plymouth had 20 left today so I made the hr drive down. I had planned an order for Ideal, but many I want are sold out till June or 2014. I thought a new breed / mix would be nice. Hoping to get a few more from Agway tomorrow/ Wed.
Going to need another coop .
Love the pic's posted of the TT's
love.gif

Been looking through this site for years and finally signed up as a member.

Anyway we have a local feed/garden store and that's where I get my chicks from. I know the hatchery they buy them from and have talked to the guy a few times about chickens and he has allot of wisdom with chickens of all breeds. This year was the first I heard of Tetra tints. The guy said the are a hybrid of a Rhode Island Red and a White leghorn. They are white with some creamy colors and all or most have black spots as chicks. They are not TSC special chicks. Personally when the Tractor supply store came to our town allot of the older local stores were worried about that kind of competition. After 6 months the main feed store changed their layout and has all the dog food that tractor supply has which was my only reason going to TSC. Their chicken feed is 1.50 cheaper then the cheap brand of DUmor from TSC. this chicken feed is a all natural food of their brand so I got there now not to mention everything is about 1.00 cheaper.

I figured I would offer my knowledge of the tetra tints straight from the breeder. From what I have read and what he told me if you want a good laying hen and all around great bird they are. Just being a white leghorn and RIR mix is enough to convince me. Mine are a week old in the same brooder as some RIR that are 4-5 weeks old and they seem to advance very quickly.

Not bashing as I go to TSC to get tools and certain items but as far as chicks go and feed I don't go there. They have some nice workers but I guess being a large chain lost me on the old store feel. TSC you can't touch the chicks, I will pick them for you and you have to buy six and then they try to get you to buy all these medicines and such and send you home with 200.00 worth of stuff and a half dozen chicks. I have had chickens for 5 years so I have plenty of chick feeders and supplies.

My store which is also somewhat of a chain store. You walk in if they ran out of boxes the guy in the back shows you where they put boxes and gives you tape to make your own chick box. The I go back to the chicks while talking to the manager and get a handful of their open bag of shavings for my box and a little scoop of food for the ride home even if its only 15 minutes. I stare at the chicks watching them and pick some up and try to pick the oddballs always have and always will. They leave you alone by then by the way the whole time my pitbull (the baby girl) is sitting beside me as I am picking out my chicks. Manager goes and gets a treat for the dog while I pick out my pullets. When I payed for them he threw in some free stuff and told me if you still want some of those boards or pallets there around back you know where they are.

Well being my first post I don't want to be to out of place I could be wrong about the white leghorn & RIR mix for the tetra tint but that's what my chicks are supposed to be.

There are some good folks at TSC but when I got to the older store which is a chain store SS I feel like its back in the old days where trust is everywhere and they help because they care not cause its policy or they want to have return customers. Could just be my TSC but I have had some lies told to me a few times as if I were a total newbie and didn't know any better. Then I think what if I was a women Or man that had no clue and got fed lies and sold a bunch of stuff I did not need to make money and that bugs me. They have signs white pullets, Red pullets and will not or cannot tell you where they are from or be certain of the breed. I was told they might be straight runs we don't know. Enough of that just my thoughts I love this forum and the people seem to be great. To me anybody who truly loves animals of all kinds are usually good people at the core.

Back
Top Bottom