The Tetra Tint thread.. (Photos, info) ❤

I bought 6 of these girls in early April - started getting eggs the end of July.. every few days another would start. Now getting 6 a day pretty much every day. They do start off small - the first one was about 1.5 inches... one I got the other day was 2.5 inches and a double yolk. Because the colors of the eggs are slightly different I can match them.. but all the girls look the same. Love these for their sweet nature and productivity

I bought 6 of these girls in early April - started getting eggs the end of July.. every few days another would start. Now getting 6 a day pretty much every day. They do start off small - the first one was about 1.5 inches... one I got the other day was 2.5 inches and a double yolk. Because the colors of the eggs are slightly different I can match them.. but all the girls look the same. Love these for their sweet nature and productivity
How old were they when they started? Ours are supposed to be laying but I've only gotten two eggs from our four.

Quote: They were about a week old when we bought them so maybe 16 or 17 weeks. We weren't expecting them to start for another few weeks and still had them on chick starter. Switched to the Purina Layena Plus and gave them some additional oyster shell. The first few eggs (only 1 every other day) were very soft shelled and we caught one eating it. But a few days on layer feed seemed to help.. We were getting 1 every day.. then after a few days 2 few more days 3 etc.. now all of them lay an egg by lunchtime. We have had 3 double yolked ones so far. Not sure what is causing that. Oh, and they have an addiction to raisins. That is how we get them to come back to the lot when they are out - just shake the container. And how we trained them to let us pet them. Who would have thought they would like raisins lol. The above picture shows the first hard shelled egg we found and one from last week from the same chicken (the eggs are all slightly different in color so can match them even though the girls all look the same :)

Last edited:
They were about a week old when we bought them so maybe 16 or 17 weeks. We weren't expecting them to start for another few weeks and still had them on chick starter. Switched to the Purina Layena Plus and gave them some additional oyster shell. The first few eggs (only 1 every other day) were very soft shelled and we caught one eating it. But a few days on layer feed seemed to help.. We were getting 1 every day.. then after a few days 2 few more days 3 etc.. now all of them lay an egg by lunchtime. We have had 3 double yolked ones so far. Not sure what is causing that. Oh, and they have an addiction to raisins. That is how we get them to come back to the lot when they are out - just shake the container. And how we trained them to let us pet them. Who would have thought they would like raisins lol. The above picture shows the first hard shelled egg we found and one from last week from the same chicken (the eggs are all slightly different in color so can match them even though the girls all look the same :)
Our hens lay best on Layena, too. I bought a different brand in June and I was hardly getting any eggs. Switched back to Purina and now I'm getting 6 or 7 per day. Two of my pullets are laying. Waiting for the other five to follow suit. ;)

We got a Tetra egg!! It was kind of a circle-ish shape, but bumpy. I'm so excited!
Congratulations :) That is such an exciting moment when you find your first one!

oops - maybe not first one - but hope they continue to lay for you. Eggs should get bigger over time :)

Last edited:
Another one today! I saw it come out of her vent which was gross, but i'm so glad they're laying! I compared it to an Australorp egg that was just laid and the Australorp one was 3x bigger almost!

OMG! Our Tetras (now all named- Poppy, Georgie, Chrissy, and Elliot) have been laying like CRAZY! I've been getting about 1-2 eggs a day now from them which is actually a lot, considering this time last month we were getting 0 eggs a day!

Well, this is just insanity. My FIVE MONTH OLD Tetra Tint has GONE BROODY! She'll be six months this Thursday. I actually have some hatching eggs on the way. I'm going to let her give it a shot with a couple, if she's still feeling it when they arrive tomorrow or Tuesday. I'm just blown away. Anyone else have a TT go broody this crazy young (not to mention this crazy late in the season! Lucky for her we're in SC).

Well, this is just insanity. My FIVE MONTH OLD Tetra Tint has GONE BROODY! She'll be six months this Thursday. I actually have some hatching eggs on the way. I'm going to let her give it a shot with a couple, if she's still feeling it when they arrive tomorrow or Tuesday. I'm just blown away. Anyone else have a TT go broody this crazy young (not to mention this crazy late in the season! Lucky for her we're in SC).
Mine is broody right now too! She is about the same age. We have tried breaking her for the past 3 days(removed from nest, cooled off, even gave her a time out in chicken jail!). But she refuses to be broken!

Back
Top Bottom