The Tetra Tint thread.. (Photos, info) ❤

I have just heard of this breed, but can't find any info on them.. Are they DP? does anyone know their annual egg production? Temperament? Broodiness? Egg size and color?

Speaking of mine which I bought 2 years ago this month - they are sweet goodnatured birds. I bought 6 of them and they have laid almost non stop since they were about 3 months old. I would have bought more last year or this year but have not seen them again at the TSC. Their eggs are a light brown and fairly large. This is a spec sheet I found on them that may help you - http://www.tetraamericana.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/TETRA-Tint-Spec-Sheet.pdf. Only had 1 go broody last year and not having a rooster let her hatch 6 Guinea eggs. She was a great little mom.

If you had to guess, about how many eggs per week do you get from one hen? I'm only so inquisitive because i am building my flock and need to decide on my final hen breed and get her before my chicks turn into pullets! lol!

If you had to guess, about how many eggs per week do you get from one hen? I'm only so inquisitive because i am building my flock and need to decide on my final hen breed and get her before my chicks turn into pullets! lol!

I have 5 layers (6th one has not laid since she got sick last summer) I get 3 to 5 eggs a day - every day - even in the winter with no additional lighting - for almost 2 years (they started laying in July 2014 and I bought them in April 2014) I feed them a mix of Layena plus and scratch with food scrapes, mealworms and supervised time out of the lot because of the hawks. We have more eggs then we can use and give them away to everyone. I did give them a different layer feed and noticed a reduction in eggs so went back to the Layena Plus so I think feed has alot to do with getting eggs

Does anyone have any info about how long these Tetra Tints live? We got two of them from TSC a little over 3 years ago. One was found dead in the coop a couple of months ago (with no signs of issues previously). The other one is not doing well now. She is pretty lethargic, not interested in eating at all, has lost weight. Just trying to figure out if this is typical for this breed or not. I don't know whether to do a bunch of stuff to try to make her well or if we should just be trying to keep her comfortable at this point. She also happens to be a beloved pet to my youngest son. :(

I've been giving her liquid vitamins in water and have force fed her some feed mixed with the vitamins (made balls out of it and put them in her mouth).

Any advice is welcome...

Does anyone have any info about how long these Tetra Tints live? We got two of them from TSC a little over 3 years ago. One was found dead in the coop a couple of months ago (with no signs of issues previously). The other one is not doing well now. She is pretty lethargic, not interested in eating at all, has lost weight. Just trying to figure out if this is typical for this breed or not. I don't know whether to do a bunch of stuff to try to make her well or if we should just be trying to keep her comfortable at this point. She also happens to be a beloved pet to my youngest son. :(

I've been giving her liquid vitamins in water and have force fed her some feed mixed with the vitamins (made balls out of it and put them in her mouth).

Any advice is welcome...

I bought 6 in April 2014. Lost 2 last year to same symptoms. Had another recently that started. Bought her in and fed her yogurt mixed with wheat germ, scrambled eggs,polyvisol.. anything to entice her to eat. She seems to have recovered. I was getting an egg from each pretty much everyday for years but that has gone down to 1 or 2 from the 4. I wonder if the constant egg production has taken a toll. These girls are really sweet. Have noticed that I haven't seen them for sale since I bought mine. Can't even find them online anymore so that makes me suspicious. Good luck with your little hen.. hope she will pull through.

Are they still making these? Had some, they were great. Laid like a leghorn, consumed feed like a leghorn, much less excitable (still very active). Little smaller comb, big eggs, just barely off white. Held up well, gave a friend a few spare ones we picked up from TSC, her kids made a pet out of one, thing lived to like 9 years old.

Old thread, but I think I might just have one of these Tetra Tints. Eggs are light cream. She's a big girl too.

There was a RIR Roo, and leghorn hens in the flock. I'm seriously leaning towards Tetra Tint. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_20220309_192335.jpg
    IMG_20220309_192335.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom