The Welsummer Thread!!!!

That's a lot of chickens! :)

Holy Cow that is alot of chickens is right............Snow bird how many birds are you feeding? also does the Mill you use have meat scraps and what exactly are they? like ground cooked scraps, raw scraps? Meat meal? or do you furnish your own, like in grow beef cattle as well as a million chickens hehehehe...
Love the info you have provided and will be calling our Mill today to see about implementing your recipe, though on a somewhat smaller scale, I would need only a couple hundred pounds a month I have a grower pen with 24, 14 week olds, my rooster pen with 12 boys for the freezer, and my layer pen with 19 hens and 2 roo's.......so only a total of 57 chickens till butchering time anyway. then I will separate my 2 groups into my EE, blue egg layers, pea comb pen and my mixed Layer straight comb pen, each having 2 roo's and 20 hens. I haven't kept track, but I think I must be using about 300 or 400 Lbs a month.
Do your birds free range at all? mine normally would, but I have a few loose roosters running around, so they haven't gotten out lately because they don't need to be harassed by the extra roo's, I feed garden surplus as well and still make 3 or 4 dozen scrambled eggs for em once or twice a week as a treat, my girls give me many extra eggs, and it seems everyone these days is selling eggs, so I haven't even bothered listing eggs for sale, so the chickens get them. Ty again for the recipe, now I just have to figure out how to cut it down to an amount I can feed up in a month....... Kim

These are my Wellies and just turned one month old. I have two pullets and one cockerel. It's easy to see which one is the young rooster!

Kim, Until last fall I hatched out several hundred chicken, Ducks and Guinea. The chickens were bred for my own showing and I kept a lot of breeders of different ages as I did mostly single matings. I posted several pictures on the Wheaten Marans thread a few months ago of my cage setup.

Ty SnowBird I will have to go looky through that threat and find them there pictures, Wow thats alot of chicks, I have a friend on the cheese head threadm Jim who also hatches out hundreds of chicks a year, but he sells the majority of them as chicks so he doesn't have to feed so many as you did. Did you stop raising critters last fall? or just happy with what ya have now? Kim

Man, I just love our Wellie! Our three hens were hand-raised from chicks, but at one year old, she's the only one who will come near us now, but only if she thinks we have food, haha! She is definitely the flock leader and has started protecting the two Leghorn pullets I added this summer from harassment by the other two hens! She is always the last to roost at night, staying on the lookout until everyone is safe. And she's always making a huge racket. I wouldn't be surprised if she starts to crow, no kidding.

I only have one Welsummer pullet. I was wondering if they make different sounds than other chickens...or maybe it's just mine. She sounds like she is honking..and she does this a lot. She is a bit of a lap chicken and follows us around much of the time. Super friendly. She follows us doing quiet honks...chattering with us. The only other chickens I have that come close to making the sound are two Dark Brahmas and they are the Welsummers best buds. Do I have a weird one?

Deanna,

I have a bantam Cochin hen who is a honker. She's about two years old. We both have "weirdos"
lol.png

I have a BCM that honks her head off. Probably 60 chickens here right now and she is the only one.

I have Bantam Wellie eggs coming from Gamebirdsonly right now. Eggcited as can be!

Back
Top Bottom