The Wyandotte Thread

Mixing breeds is how you get all these pretty colors. It is VERY COMMON. You just have to selectively breed to get them back to the SOP of the breed you want. Crossing Choc Orps into Wyandottes is how Choc Wyandottes came to be and probably most all choc colored birds. The genes have to come from somewhere....... Lavender would be another example.

We don't have Blue laced Silvers in the US YET and we don't have the Jubilee type color yet either. I am sure that will change SOON!
Interesting... cant wait to see how the coloring comes out. Its out of a Blue Laced Red Roo and a Gold Laced hen.
Would that make it a Black Laced Red???? And not a true Gold Lace?

Last edited:
Quote:
The genes in a BLRW are different than a Gold. If you cross the 2 you might get a mix of BLRW and Gold BLUE AND BLACKS. The BLRW have a gene called Mahogany that is what makes them RED and not gold. If your chicks get that gene they will be like a BLRW. If they don't get that gene they will be gold. The blue to black will breed as usual 50/50 each color.

Quote: You can cross a Splash BLRW x Silver Hens, but you will get sex links that was. The roos will be silver with gold or brassyness and the pullets will just be brassy with no silver. We don't have blue silvers here so you would have to do some breeding to make them. I am making the cross the other way SLW rooster x Splash BLRW hens. Now if I could just get some fertile eggs I would be flying.

What would you get if you breed at Gold Laced Wyandotte with a Silver Laced Wyandotte?
jumpy.gif

You can cross a Splash BLRW x Silver Hens, but you will get sex links that was. The roos will be silver with gold or brassyness and the pullets will just be brassy with no silver. We don't have blue silvers here so you would have to do some breeding to make them. I am making the cross the other way SLW rooster x Splash BLRW hens. Now if I could just get some fertile eggs I would be flying.
Thanks for the info:
I have a Splash BLR roo and a BLR Roo that will be with some really nice Foley Silver hens.
I was gonna do the other way too, but I ended up with Blue Roos that I love.
Im new not really into breeding, but might hatch out some chicks next year to see what kind of pullets I get.
Yes I wish someone would get Blue silvers going so I could just get a couple. LOVE THEM!

With these red porcelains, you can have all the genetic knowledge you want, you also need that little bit of luck.
Therefore I wish you all the luck you need! :)
I am located in Belgium and offer 7 hens and 2 roosters to a breeder who wishes to help with this color.
This is the flock I am talking about.
Some hens are too white, others are messy colored,... but the two roosters are not bad at all. It's just that their brothers are better.
I wish I could, but being in the US it may be a little hard to drive over to your place and pick them up
wink.png

I do want to try and import in a couple of years, right now I'm working on my "start up"

The genes in a BLRW are different than a Gold.  If you cross the 2 you might get a mix of BLRW and Gold BLUE AND BLACKS.  The BLRW have a gene called Mahogany that is what makes them RED and not gold.  If your chicks get that gene they will be like a BLRW.  If they don't get that gene they will be gold.  The blue to black will breed as usual 50/50 each color.

This is the result of BLRW roo over a GL hen.

Quote: You could get blue's too but they might be more on the gold side like this girl. I like her but she is almost penciled.... I have that in a few of my birds too. I had a hen that didn't show the penciling till she molted and I had hatched a ton from her so it is a cull point, but they look interesting.

Back
Top Bottom