The Wyandotte Thread

after looking at pictures I'm thinking the middle two speckled eggs. The first two are my rock she's been laying for awhile. Her egg is always rounder . Then the bottom two would be my old english game who thought she wanted to go broody 3 months ago. Just starting to lay again. Yeah ! Also, they are to light.
I have had a few speckled eggs over last two weeks. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it calcium deposits ? Am I feeding her something wrong or is it pretty normal? I'm a newbie. Hard to see speckled sorry. Thank you for all the responses ! If I didn't have so many different breed of brown layers it wouldn't be driving me crazy trying to figure it out! I'm obsessed when it's time to see who paid rent
1f603.png
1f414.png
1f373.png
you're so welcome,, I do have three Barred Rocks their Eggs are rounder and brown. My GLW LAY Oval eggs and they are a light brown to pink. I also have some Easter Eggers but I get Ovlie colored eggs from them they Oval in shape. I have had some spalked eggs. It is excited to see what Pullet is lying which Eggs.
:D:D

you're so welcome,, I do have three Barred Rocks their Eggs are rounder and brown. My GLW LAY Oval eggs and they are a light brown to pink. I also have some Easter Eggers but I get Ovlie colored eggs from them they Oval in shape. I have had some spalked eggs. It is excited to see what Pullet is lying which Eggs.
:D:D
Yes I'm obsessed my flock is just so mixed along with my obsession and not being home all day. I really want a motion camera ! Now I'm thinking my broodys eggs are actually Goldie my GLW clarify my broody 3 months ago. Hasn't laid since I thought they were hers. She needs to earn her rent
1f373.png
I wish I had got a olive egg my EE's lay white and two lay blue. I know they all should be faced down. I was just making a pretty picture. The lengths we go to for our flocks

Last edited:
Yes I'm obsessed my flock is just so mixed along with my obsession and not being home all day. I really want a motion camera ! Now I'm thinking my broodys eggs are actually Goldie my GLW clarify my broody 3 months ago. Hasn't laid since I thought they were hers. She needs to earn her rent
1f373.png
I wish I had got a olive egg my EE's lay white and two lay blue.
you need a security cam or a computer cam you can mount in the nesting area and see which birds laying which egg..i no i am thinking i'd like one to see whats going on in the coop at night ..i had some older securty cams i sold ..wished now i had held on to them ..

you need a security cam or a computer cam you can mount in the nesting area and see which birds laying which egg..i no i am thinking i'd like one to see whats going on in the coop at night ..i had some older securty cams i sold ..wished now i had held on to them ..
Right! We did the same thing. It was our raccoon camera motion censored. Crazy thing is I would probably sit and watch hours of it . I'm pathetic
1f64a.png
1f648.png
it's so addicting ! I can't wait intel next year ! I need a olive green egg and I'm complete. No dying eggs for easter. Haha ! My kids would kill me! That brings up another question. Do the colored eggs absorb the die? I should probably get the cheap eggs. I hate to buy those eggs after all I have learned about how awful those girks are treated.

I've always loved wyandottes! I'm going to be getting one glw and one slw come spring. I really wanted to get a blr but none if the stores I buy from ever sell them, and almost all the hatcheries require a minimum of fifteen chicks.

I have a question if anyone here might know the answer?,
I have 2 gold laced wyandotte hens and 1 gold laced wyandotte rooster (who seems to be infertile).
I also have five 8week old baby chickens that I purchased as day olds(3 hens and 2 roosters)- they are blue laced gold wyandottes.
Now my one of my hens have gone broody and it appears that my eggs still seem to be infertile so I've been looking around for a "plan B". I'm thinking about buying some fertile eggs from a local backyard breeder but they are purebred silver laced wyandotte eggs.

My question is, if I have gold laced, blue laced gold and silver laced wyandottes all free ranging together in my yard, would this affect the quality of any offspring that I might want to hatch down the track?
I really just enjoy this breed and the different colour variations in the lacing so it's not overly important that they are "perfect" or anything but I do enjoy having nice looking birds in my yard.
They should only throw out one of the combinations that I would already have right?

I hope this makes sense!
Thanks!

Not sure if anyone has answered your question. The short answer is they would be mutt chicks if you didn't sort them out for breeding. Crossing all 3 would not result in any you can use for future breeding.

Not sure if anyone has answered your question.  The short answer is they would be mutt chicks if you didn't sort them out for breeding.    Crossing all 3 would not result in any you can use for future breeding. 

Ok, thanks! I've bought the eggs anyway but I might just sell the chickens from the hatch if need be, I'm thinking about putting a second coop in for breeding sometime next year so we will see.

I swapped out the fake eggs from under my broody today to put the new fertile ones under her and found 3 real eggs that I also removed.
She's only been sitting for 3 days so
I cracked them open to see if there were any "bullseyes" and found this-

Is that what I think it is?!
Have I just paid $45 (Australian) for a dozen of someone else's fertile eggs for no reason?!
That looks like a baby chick might have started developing in one of those!!
:-/

Those eggs look fertile but the blood is meat spots.... not development. It will happens sometimes with chickens, they can get pretty big and kinda gross. I have seen them with blood in the white and big globs about the size of a lima bean of bigger.

Back
Top Bottom