The Wyandotte Thread

One of my sweetest girls in my mixed flock...her name is Ginger ❤🧡

Attachments

• 877256B5-9AFB-4A22-9B1C-4F935F2015EE.jpeg
    877256B5-9AFB-4A22-9B1C-4F935F2015EE.jpeg
    845 KB · Views: 6
I've been reading this thread for about an hour now and I'm new to Wyandotte. I have 3 pullets I bought as chics. What is the comb issue you've mentioned?
Wyandottes are supposed to have rose combs.

Several people have mentioned that their chicks have single combs.

That is truly odd, because a single comb on a Wyandotte chick means more than just a little oops. It means a bunch of breeding with who knows what.

A rose comb, genetically, is from two rose comb genes, one from dad and one from mom. To get a single comb, they need to have ZERO rose comb genes.

If they have a single rose comb gene, instead of two, they would still have a rose comb, but often the rose comb is a bit messier and not as neat and tidy.

Wyandottes are supposed to have rose combs.

Several people have mentioned that their chicks have single combs.

That is truly odd, because a single comb on a Wyandotte chick means more than just a little oops. It means a bunch of breeding with who knows what.

A rose comb, genetically, is from two rose comb genes, one from dad and one from mom. To get a single comb, they need to have ZERO rose comb genes.

If they have a single rose comb gene, instead of two, they would still have a rose comb, but often the rose comb is a bit messier and not as neat and tidy.
Thanks a bunch! Really helps clear up my question. My pullets are only about 5 weeks old and they don't have very much of a comb at all yet so. Again thanks and I'll definitely be watching closely to see if they have a rose or single comb.

Got these as chics and I've been told they are Wyandotte. Any idea if they are Columbian Wyandotte or could they be a diff breed of Wyandotte? All 3 look slightly diff in one way or another. One in particular is much smaller than the other two and has darker yellow on its head.
I can't see the combs on the second 2 photos,but the first photo is a clear rose comb.

Heres some of my other wyandottes
The blacks I have 5 trying to sell three as my plans for them died literally.
C7347456-6AC8-4015-A8E9-D7F9CAC60F42.jpeg
B318F78B-E26C-4E6C-9C80-ED9D6889716A.jpeg

The chocolate pullets I have 5 of them gonna male chocolate easter eggers as i know longer have a chocolate male
F2041981-C048-47D4-A311-4AE33119CF39.jpeg
DCBA4C2A-8A0E-43C4-9605-5BA671B15F89.jpeg
B80AE145-D434-4F34-B5CB-5B83E7A8E814.jpeg

and I have two blues heres a pic of one
A5699B02-22AE-41F2-B873-5981A3F9827A.jpeg

Got these as chics and I've been told they are Wyandotte. Any idea if they are Columbian Wyandotte or could they be a diff breed of Wyandotte? All 3 look slightly diff in one way or another. One in particular is much smaller than the other two and has darker yellow on its head.
Yes, columbian wyandottes! Chick down coloring varies quite a bit. :)

Back
Top Bottom