The Wyandotte Thread

Quote:
you might try posting your question on the silkie thread (this is the wyandotte thread and even though some of us might now the answer, probably more can answer it acurrately on the silkie thread)

Forgive me-- I'm probably the 100th person to ask this question.
roll.png

I have 8 SLW pullets, and was wondering what qualities I should look for in a "show quality" chicken. My little one would like to get involved in 4H and before we go out and purchase a new pullet with all the qualities needed, I was wondering if we had one here in our midst.
hu.gif

Are there a basic top 5 things to look for in a Show quality Silver Lace Wyandotte and are there any disqualifying traits?

It would be so wonderful if I could get a few breeders to give their top 5 things to look for.
bow.gif

Thanks so much!

Sara

Quote:
I don't know where you got your SLW pullets from, but if they are from a hatchery, the odds are next to zero that they would be any where near show quality. If your child is going to start showing I'd encourage you to get a Standard of Perfection from the APA. It has all the qualities (or DQs) that are required for a show quality bird.

Here's what I would recommend to look for.

Correct body type and size.

Correct comb

Good lacing

Correct eye, beak and leg color

Quote:
Keep in mind that over 95% of 4H chickens will not be show quality. A good healthy, clean bird can win without even being close to show quality in most 4H shows. I'm not sure I'd go to the expense of show birds unless my goal was to participate in APA sanctioned shows.

Quote:
Keep in mind that over 95% of 4H chickens will not be show quality. A good healthy, clean bird can win without even being close to show quality in most 4H shows. I'm not sure I'd go to the expense of show birds unless my goal was to participate in APA sanctioned shows.

That is true unfortunately, but I wish that mindset would change. It costs just as much to feed a poor quality bird as it does a good example of the breed....and a lot of breeders will give a 4-H kid a break on price. It would be much better in the long run to start out with decent quality birds.

I agree with you katy, If everyone would breed quality, all the breeds would be helped. How is your wyandottes doing? Mine are growing got over 50 babies right now.

Quote:

That is true unfortunately, but I wish that mindset would change. It costs just as much to feed a poor quality bird as it does a good example of the breed....and a lot of breeders will give a 4-H kid a break on price. It would be much better in the long run to start out with decent quality birds.

Diito!

T.E.R. :

I agree with you katy, If everyone would breed quality, all the breeds would be helped. How is your wyandottes doing? Mine are growing got over 50 babies right now.

They're doing good....have a bunch of chicks that are just now 3 weeks old growing out. Debating whether to stick some more of their eggs in the bator or not. I've got some other breeds I need to hatch a few of too.​

Back
Top Bottom