The Wyandotte Thread

you can pick up some good breeder birds in the sale cages at the shows....sometimes breeders will sell right out of the show cage...you just have to ask around. The green river KY show is next weekend.......entries have to mailed tomorrow.

Mrs. Turbo :

The green river KY show is next weekend.......entries have to mailed tomorrow.

I'd love to go but sadly I don't have a drivers license yet... For now I'll have to stick to my crappy birds LOL but they are sweet!​

Quote:
Keep in mind that over 95% of 4H chickens will not be show quality. A good healthy, clean bird can win without even being close to show quality in most 4H shows. I'm not sure I'd go to the expense of show birds unless my goal was to participate in APA sanctioned shows.

I think there's a lot of variety in the quality from region to region. In my area, taking a hatchery bird to the fair would be a waste of time as far as the breed classes are concerned. There's an APA judge and pretty much all the clubs have some members bringing breeder quality stock.

Buying breeder quality chicks is more of a hassle, but it's not really all that much more expensive, especially when you pencil out the costs for the coop and the other expenses during the year.

Last edited:
It looks like I have FOUR out of four roos! If anyone is interested in some blue wyandotte's (breeder quality), shoot me a message. 4 weeks old monday. Eeek...

P.S. i'm not ready to post for sale yet, but I figured I'd mention it here.
wink.png

Quote:
Keep in mind that over 95% of 4H chickens will not be show quality. A good healthy, clean bird can win without even being close to show quality in most 4H shows. I'm not sure I'd go to the expense of show birds unless my goal was to participate in APA sanctioned shows.

I think there's a lot of variety in the quality from region to region. In my area, taking a hatchery bird to the fair would be a waste of time as far as the breed classes are concerned. There's an APA judge and pretty much all the clubs have some members bringing breeder quality stock.

Buying breeder quality chicks is more of a hassle, but it's not really all that much more expensive, especially when you pencil out the costs for the coop and the other expenses during the year.

same with our state fair..... we have a ton of great breeders show up. It is a lot of fun and the cash prizes are really nice..... Our fair is a lot like the big shows and a real judge is there.

I am stealing my wifes username while she is in the kitchen....anyway there are several good breeders of bantam and large fowl wyandottes in Indiana. You should find a way to attend some of the shows that are close to you in Connersville and there is one north of you at the Boone County Fairgrounds...and dont forget that the biggest show of all Crossroads next year at the Indiana State Fairgrounds. We will be at the Connersville show and I should have some bantam wyandottes available in Columbian, Partridge, SL, and possibly black.

Andy has a ton of different bantam wyandottes and always attends the Kentuckiana Show in May...but there are plenty of good bantam wyandotte breeders in Indiana.....

Jerry

Mrs. Turbo :

I am stealing my wifes username while she is in the kitchen....anyway there are several good breeders of bantam and large fowl wyandottes in Indiana. You should find a way to attend some of the shows that are close to you in Connersville and there is one north of you at the Boone County Fairgrounds...and dont forget that the biggest show of all Crossroads next year at the Indiana State Fairgrounds. We will be at the Connersville show and I should have some bantam wyandottes available in Columbian, Partridge, SL, and possibly black.

Andy has a ton of different bantam wyandottes and always attends the Kentuckiana Show in May...but there are plenty of good bantam wyandotte breeders in Indiana.....

Jerry

Thank you! I'm not sure if I'll be attending the Connersville one this year or not. Seems like a waist of a trip up there for nothing. I'll probably end up going to the Lebanon show. I've seens some bantam wyandottes in the sales pens but I am wary of buying from people who I do not know.​

Back
Top Bottom