The Wyandotte Thread

Mrs. Turbo :

Katy is entering the world of Wyandotte bantams......look out everyone!

What on earth are you talking about?!?
hide.gif
lau.gif

Mrs. Turbo :

It has gotten so bad here it took 2 NPIP people and 2 of us 3 hours to test everyone.....
lol.png

how old do the chickens have to be to be tested in your state? The guy here in NC told me 16 weeks, was wondering if it's the same all over.​

Last edited:
Quote:
Keep in mind that over 95% of 4H chickens will not be show quality. A good healthy, clean bird can win without even being close to show quality in most 4H shows. I'm not sure I'd go to the expense of show birds unless my goal was to participate in APA sanctioned shows.

I wish I understood the purpose of showing 4-H chickens. I know there is showmanship and clean birds and all of that. I still think it is important for kids and their 4-H leaders and their parents to understand what the standard calls for. At least when they get their ribbon (or not) they will understand why.

I think it very unfortunate that kids in the show barn have no idea what the judges are looking for. I asked a neighbor kid about the score card and what the judge was indicating when he wrote production red on his card for a RIR. The kid nor the parents had the faintest idea. I understand not every kid can go out and get a 200 dollar trio to start from, but geeze shouldn't they and their parents at least be curious as to what the breed standard represents.

4-Her's and their parents sure dont mind letting everyone know at the end of the summer (craigslist) etc. That their birds won a ribbon at the county fair and use that as a marketing tool. If they do that they darn sure should know what they have.

Or am I all wet here?

Quote:
how old do the chickens have to be to be tested in your state? The guy here in NC told me 16 weeks, was wondering if it's the same all over.

yup....4 months or else they would have been at my house another hour.
lol.png

Quote:
Keep in mind that over 95% of 4H chickens will not be show quality. A good healthy, clean bird can win without even being close to show quality in most 4H shows. I'm not sure I'd go to the expense of show birds unless my goal was to participate in APA sanctioned shows.

I wish I understood the purpose of showing 4-H chickens. I know there is showmanship and clean birds and all of that. I still think it is important for kids and their 4-H leaders and their parents to understand what the standard calls for. At least when they get their ribbon (or not) they will understand why.

I think it very unfortunate that kids in the show barn have no idea what the judges are looking for. I asked a neighbor kid about the score card and what the judge was indicating when he wrote production red on his card for a RIR. The kid nor the parents had the faintest idea. I understand not every kid can go out and get a 200 dollar trio to start from, but geeze shouldn't they and their parents at least be curious as to what the breed standard represents.

4-Her's and their parents sure dont mind letting everyone know at the end of the summer (craigslist) etc. That their birds won a ribbon at the county fair and use that as a marketing tool. If they do that they darn sure should know what they have.

Or am I all wet here?

I don't have any experience with 4-H....we always start our kids out with the Poultry shows that we attend. They help take care of their birds and they are learning what to look for. Heck my 12 year old sets up his own breeding pens and does the culling. He has a pretty good eye and reads all the books. It really helps if you go to the big shows and find someone willing to talk you through a bird. It is one thing to read it in a book, but when you start looking at the bird it all comes together. My daughter will be 5 in May and she started showing silkies last year. She is too young to really know what to look for in a bird so we are here to guide her and teach her. She does feed and water her silkie everyday and helps with the baths and grooming before a show.

I think the 4-H is more about showmanship and feeling good about yourself????? I don't know, but most of the poultry shows have showmanship.

Nope greathorse you're dry! I would think 4-H should be a learning experience. Learning what your bird is and what it's 'supposed' to look like. Qualities to look for etc. Too often in todays society kids are rewarded without having done the work so as not to damage their self esteem. Tell me what will build self esteem better and faster than having done the work and a job well done. Enough about that.

Was out taking pics and I just gotta post this one. Can you hear him? Honestly I don't think I've ever taken a bad pic of this guy. He loves to pose!

I'm the Man!
014.jpg

I know what your saying.. The county fairs call EEs Ameracanas (excuse the spellings). At our we have a "Bardyard Mix" thing that all the mix breeds like ( Production Red, mutts ,etc except the.. EEs) are put into and they get ribbons but not as good. The judge at the county fair is a really nice guy. He's been retired from the judging business for quiet a few years. I got BESt in Show with my bantam black wyan pullet there, he said she was a good SQ bird.

The last 2 major shows I went to with her she just got BV ( 1st show beat out lice infested birds... and the second she was the only black wyandotte there!) The judges were supposed to help the junior 4-Hers by explaining whats the pros and cons about the bird. I never got anything from the first show but the second I went up and asked the judge (I was allowed to) what was correct and not correct. She just shrugged her shoulders and ignored me.. What the nerve.. I probably won't be going back to either of the shows this year... So far I guess I just have mutts compared to the birds in the shows.

I think you just need to find the right judge or breeder......some of them love to talk about birds. You can also hunt down the youth leaders and they can point you to someone that would help you out.

The breeder I got these eggs from was Andy Anderson I believe in IL. He used to advertise in backyard poultry mag. I haven't seen any of his adds in there in forever. I think he may have sold off his birds. He have bantam wyans, bantam buff orps, and OEGBs. They were $18 a doz. No one in Indiana raises any SQ bantam wyandottes
hmm.png
Gotta get rid of these 2 roos before I can get anymore *pouts*

Back
Top Bottom