The Wyandotte Thread

How do you think a black wyandotte bantam rooster crossed with an oeg bb red hen would turn out. Is rosecomb dominant over single comb?
Yes, Rosecomb is dominant over single comb but biggest issue will be type and the white earlobe. A Rosecomb Brown Leghorn bantam might be the best bet but still battle earlobe. Like I said would be an epic endeavor to set sail with haha.

It was such a nice day I thought I would take some photos of our new Urch Cockerel. We just received him last week. He is 9-10 months old. Feel free to comment.

It was such a nice day I thought I would take some photos of our new Urch Cockerel. We just received him last week. He is 9-10 months old. Feel free to comment.

The two things that I would say you want to watch are to get more roundness and depth in the front of the breast, and also a higher wing carriage. However!! That said, the Golden Laced are not plentiful and he's very nice, definitely a keeper, definitely worth reproducing. We also have an Urch GLW cock, and I would say I am watching for the same issues with him.

This is ours at the cockerel stage, for your amusement and comparison. He has filled out more since then, as I suspect yours will.

This is more recent, and pretty flattering

This isn't as nice or as flattering an image, but it does show a worst case accurate breast outline and also the worst case for his wing carriage, which is meant to be horizontal. He doesn't usually hold them that low, but it's definitely something we're going to watch in future generations.

Anyway, I thought you might appreciate having a comparison to another Urch male. I think your guy looks great and I hope he will produce armloads of GLW babies for you. We need more GL flocks.

Last edited:
"Anyway, I thought you might appreciate having a comparison to another Urch male. I think your guy looks great and I hope he will produce armloads of GLW babies for you. We need more GL flocks."

Thank you very much for the input and the comparison. I hope to be able to use him later this spring or next year. I have this Urch cock with my birds right now.

He's a nice bird but lacks size.

"Anyway, I thought you might appreciate having a comparison to another Urch male. I think your guy looks great and I hope he will produce armloads of GLW babies for you. We need more GL flocks."

Thank you very much for the input and the comparison. I hope to be able to use him later this spring or next year. I have this Urch cock with my birds right now.

He's a nice bird but lacks size.

It will be nice for you to be able to use his daughters on the new cockerel. He's got good shape and carriage.

I should weigh ours - just haven't gotten around to it. I would say I would like more size on ours as well. We have a partridge that is a bit bigger, that is right on the money for size.

Last edited:

He appears a bit long & flat in the back & lacks the "roundness" I like to see in a Wyandotte. Also I'd be hesitant to breed from him due to his wing carriage. Seems to carry his wings low in all the pictures.

Back
Top Bottom