THEY HAVE SHIPPED!

They are here! All alive! They made it all the way to South Texas in one day, which is impressive. I got up this morning and tried to study for the SAT for a while before checking the tracking number (I'm going to college next year), when my mom came out of her room and said, "I hope you're all dressed because I just got a call and the chicks are on their way!" They got here about ten minutes after that, chirping and peeping loudly through the box.
woot.gif

Here are a few pictures:

This one is a Buff Orpington named "Mumthers", after a character in a book who was such a good cook she could supposedly make bark a delicacy. I think my brother was hoping that Mumthers would lay equally good eggs!

Autumn, an Easter Egger:

Bobbles and Merry Poppins, Barred Rocks:

Bobbles:

This little Easter Egger doesn't have a name yet:

And there's also another Buff Orpington who's name is under debate, but she will likely be Marigold.

Chickies eating some fermented feed, they couldn't get enough!

Last edited:
Also, a couple of funny things: every time one of the chicks would start eating some food, the others also had to eat some from that cup, not realizing that it was all the same stuff. Another funny thing was that the bedding in our brooder is shredded newspaper, and the chicks could not get over all the bright colors! They kept pecking at it and pecking at it, surely wondering what in the world that stuff was. I love them so much already!!

They are absolutely adorable. Glad to hear that they all made it safe and sound. I'm going to give fermented feed a try. I'm already doing the deep litter method in my coop with the big girls and figure might as well save some more money and do fermented feed. Wait until they get bigger and you start giving them treats. It's hilarious watching two chase one because the one has something the other two want. I can't wait to see what your EEs look like when they feather out. I had three chicks that looked the same and now all three are different colors. I have decided out of all chicken EEs are the most exciting to watch feather out. You get way more than standard coloring with them and it is simply amazing to see. I hope everyone who got chicks last week that theirs are still doing good? I know mine are all but the brahma have just about completely feathered in on the wing and are starting tail feathers. I'll have to take pictures at some point to post. Along with some pictures of my bigger girls for people to guess whether or not they are pullets or roos. I'm thinking I have at least one roo, but looking at them the other day I'm suspecting another.

They are here! All alive! They made it all the way to South Texas in one day, which is impressive. I got up this morning and tried to study for the SAT for a while before checking the tracking number (I'm going to college next year), when my mom came out of her room and said, "I hope you're all dressed because I just got a call and the chicks are on their way!" They got here about ten minutes after that, chirping and peeping loudly through the box.
woot.gif

Here are a few pictures:

This one is a Buff Orpington named "Mumthers", after a character in a book who was such a good cook she could supposedly make bark a delicacy. I think my brother was hoping that Mumthers would lay equally good eggs!

Autumn, an Easter Egger:

Bobbles and Merry Poppins, Barred Rocks:

Bobbles:

This little Easter Egger doesn't have a name yet:

And there's also another Buff Orpington who's name is under debate, but she will likely be Marigold.

Chickies eating some fermented feed, they couldn't get enough!
They are SO cute!!! I really want to get Easter Eggers next time...

Here are my babies, at 1 week of age!

Buffy, a Buff Orpington.

Sherlock, a Buff Orpington. Wing and tail feathers!

Daphne, a Barred Rock.

Letty, a Barred Rock.

Sheila, an Australorp. Slower to develop feathers than the others - no tail feathers yet. Please don't be a roo, please don't be a roo....

I don't know if the whole they are slower to develop signals a roo. I have a friend who had a couple slow feathering females. And with my one EE that was slow to feather that is the one that I least think is a roo, still a possibility but I'm not so sure about that one.

I don't know if the whole they are slower to develop signals a roo. I have a friend who had a couple slow feathering females. And with my one EE that was slow to feather that is the one that I least think is a roo, still a possibility but I'm not so sure about that one.
That is SUCH a relief to hear! Hopefully she's just a slower-developing hen. We can't have roosters here, so fingers crossed for all girls!

Yeah it would be nice if they could come up with a way to sex link all chicken breeds or something. Not that the sex links they have now aren't pretty or anything it's just not enough variety. I will say my golden buff is a really wonderful little chick, very pretty.

This is my Golden Buff.

This is my Delaware.

Light Brahma

Australorp I think.

Jersey Giant

Silver Laced Wyandotte.
All at a week old, all doing wonderfully. Like I've said the only one that is slower to feather out is my brahma, but I think that just has to do with the breed.

Back
Top Bottom