Things i never knew about chickens...

Here's a controversial but true one - I never knew that chicks NEED cooler air to really thrive! Whodda thunk that tearing around a run in 20 degree temperatures at 1 week old was GOOD for them?

Last edited:
Here's a controversial but true one - I never knew that chicks NEED cooler air to really thrive!  Whodda thunk that tearing around a run in 20 degree temperatures at 1 week old was GOOD for them?

This makes me not feel as bad for having the air conditioning and a box fan on all the time :) ...I'm sure fresh outside air is better, but it's a similar concept :) I'm happy my girls are old enough now to put up with my desire for cool temperatures and no more heat lamp (yay!) Luckily the move to the coop is right around the corner.

One more thing to add about things I didn't know about chickens is, I didn't realize how hard it would be for me to "cut the cord" and send my little girls (and one definite roo) out to the coop.
1f62d.png
I will miss them being inside.

Before owning chickens, I thought they only made peaceful clucking sounds.

The truth: mine screech and scream when broody, growl when demanding treats, and loudly yell to be let out in the morning. So peaceful!

Same here - I didn't think chickens would be so addictive. When my babies hatch, the first night I get them out of the 'bator I spend all night cuddling them and watching TV - not doing anything else! LOL.

The main thing I didn't know and that I am surprised of, is that they are really easy to keep and care for. They don't ask for much and the cleaning/feeding/taking them outside is not a big deal at all.

I also learned that they will never go outside my property and I never had to teach them the limits.

Since starting this post I have learned sand is way better than pine shavings. It has been raining almost daily for three weeks. Mucking out their run was a necessity. With sand I just take it clean, it's not a soppy mess and the girls seem happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom