Things i never knew about chickens...

& I've seen them eating their poop under where they roost - how gross! I threw an egg there once - and they all went for it - ate poop & all! My 2 black hens are egg eaters (have caught them both eating the eggs) - have the calcium shell for them - but these 2 have ate more eggs than I can count.

I love naming my girls - is so fun to pick names from ladies on TV shows that I grew up w/ ... like Miss Kitty, Aunt B, RoseMary, MonaLisa, Blanche, Joan Of Arc, Dorothy, etc :)

When I was very young my mom and dad had a chicken farm; white leghorns. Those were the meanest things. I said I would never have chickens. Then one day I found a website of chickens; egg size, broodiness, character. I found some docile chickens. NOW, I'm hooked. I love them all, but two will come up to me to pick up. They make me smile every day. My grandsons love coming to see them and eating their eggs
love.gif

it is so entertaining to watch them run.
My daughter can herd them like sheep, so cute.

A few weeks later and I'm still enjoying my girls. I have learned that they are protective of each other. Two of my girls have decided they are in charge. They are very suspicious of my cat. They run at him and chase him away.
We also had our first egg! So exciting!

Chicken math! So true! I started with 6 in February of 2014, now I have 32 hens and 3 roosters! I dread spring, it's going to be very hard to go into Tractor Supply and not get chicks. I would like a few more Ameraucanas, and I'd love a Frizzle, and what about ... Oh yes, my 2 faithful broodies... :cd

Back
Top Bottom