Things i never knew about chickens...

I love my girles all 12 of them . They follow me everywhere and are so nosey .i never knew it was so rewarding. And a dozen eggs a day is not a bad.

Chickens' pelvises are tipped backward, like dinosaurs were supposed to have been.

My Copper Marans rooster, Russell Crowe (with apologies to Himself), makes this horrid grawking noise I cannot describe, which has earned him the nickname Raptor Russell. He crows - good grief does he crow.

Chickens get all excited anytime anything living comes around. Mine stretch their necks and fuss for foxes (good for them), and deer, and even the wee bunny that is outside the fence and 20 yards up the hill. Guess they need something to talk about.

Chickens make sweet little chirring noises when asleep on the roost at night, content and unafraid. Kind-of like a high-freq purr.

I could use to hear someone weigh in if they've ever clocked one running. They book! Watching them run is the funniest thing on my site right now (and I can always use funny).

Someone once described them as the gateway drug to goats and other animals. I believe it.

I have a Brahma that, by the end of the day, has a small baseball for a crop. Girl can EAT.

The things I didn't know when I opened the box containing my new grown hens, and four utterly alien life forms looked me in the eye, I mean the things I couldn't find in a book ANYwhere, were substantial.

I never knew how affectionate a chicken could be

I never knew how protective I could be

I never knew how funny chickens are

I never knew I could train them to come when called better than my dog

I never imagined how much joy a small flock could give me year after year

I never knew what started out as a weak hobby could turn into a satisfying lifestyle

I never knew how peaceful it is to sit with my hens and just be

I never knew I would decorate a chicken coop for Christmas.

I never imagined I could grieve so strongly when a favorite dies

now I know and am so grateful I have chickens in my life !!!!!

Great thread. Thanks for starting it.

I never knew how addicting chickens are! Started out with 6, now have over 30, and eggs being sat on right now. Never knew how a hen could sit on eggs that aren't even hers for 21 days, seems like they never eat, drink or poop the entire time! Peck the crap out of me if I try to touch those eggs! Can flatten out herself like a pancake to cover all those eggs, be so protective and nurturing for a month, then chase those chicks and peck them, like she hates them! It's cute to watch momma hen call them to eat and to get under her to sleep that first month. Never knew they could poop so much!! In the food and in the water and on each other and step in it and even poop while they sleep!

I never knew...

How much chickens love to be petted and given neck rubs

How they have to line up on the roost in the same order almost every night

How some of the chickens take care of and watch out for each other

I never knew:

Chickens would be my stress relief
I could build a pretty nice coop and run by myself
They are curious
My queen could judge a hen for wrong doing, make her apologize, then have a drink with her friends
They could make me smile just thinking about them
I will fiercely protect them from predators
They form friendships
They have a complicated anatomy
I would cry and hold them when they die
I would talk to them, and they talk back:love
They can be a lot of work, but I don't mind
They are addicting -chicken math -who knew?!
Their yard would become my peaceful place
:love

Back
Top Bottom