Thinking about a dog...any ideas?

nikki1

Songster
8 Years
Oct 16, 2011
Eatonville, WA
We are thinking about getting a dog in the next year or so. We have a fully fenced yard, and our 2 kids have been asking, and it seems like a good time. We're having a tough time deciding on a breed or mixture of breeds. Here's what we're thinking:

4 year old DD wants a chihuahua or a toy poodle. DH and I would rather get a rat. Just too little and yappy.

DH and I both dislike terrors...Oh! I mean terriers.

DD and I like the temperament of a lab, but they're too darn big. Wish they'd develop a mini-lab. Also a little worried since they're bird dogs...

I grew up with FABULOUS shelties with obedience and herding pedigrees. Smart, and trainable to see chickens as wards. (My first one would herd the rabbits! They could hop right underneath her.) The right size, the right temperament, but perhaps too much fur. (I would love it, but DH would like something less fuzzy.)

I've heard about mini australian sheepdogs, but I know nothing of their temperament...Anybody know one?

Anyone with corgi experience? Right size, right fuzziness, herding background, but I haven't owned one or had much experience with them.

I have no problems with a mixture, as long as the mixture is of family-friendly breeds and not too huge. So! What have you got that works with your kids and that you dearly love?

--Nikki

I have three toy poodles and only one is yappy. My baby, Aeryn Sun, is one of the smartest dogs I have ever seen. She doesn't even need a leash all you have to do is tell her no, she barks but all I have to do is tell her to hush. Remington, on the other hand, who is six months younger is hyper as all get out and yappy, doesn't want to mind for anything.

We also have a malti poo, one of the dumbest but sweetest dogs I have ever seen. But in her defense she is missing a bone that is between her nasal passage and her brain so she has seizures.

Get a Doberman from a reputable breeder...

They always rate in the top ten list for smartest breeds, are very loyal to family, WILL keep unwanted strangers out of your yard, easy to clean and maintain...

They listen and respond to commands like you have a remote control...

Please, please rescue a dog if at all possible. It takes them a little time to come into their own but it's so well worth it. We rescued a black and tan American Coon Hound and she's just an absolute joy. She seems so happy to be loved and in a good home.

The right dog always seemed to find me. Just keep your eyes open and he/she will be there before you know it! And it's true that mixed breeds are healthier than purebreds. My daughter's a vet tech and she swears by that as does the Dr. in the practice. Guess breed-related genetic problems are somewhat crossed-out in the mixing.

Good Luck!

Please, please rescue a dog if at all possible. It takes them a little time to come into their own but it's so well worth it. We rescued a black and tan American Coon Hound and she's just an absolute joy. She seems so happy to be loved and in a good home.

The right dog always seemed to find me. Just keep your eyes open and he/she will be there before you know it! And it's true that mixed breeds are healthier than purebreds. My daughter's a vet tech and she swears by that as does the Dr. in the practice. Guess breed-related genetic problems are somewhat crossed-out in the mixing.

Good Luck!
That is only true in some extreme cases... Example: Breeds like pugs that were 'bred' to have messed up faces and prone to have breathing problems as a result.

You are more likely in the end to get someones elses 'problem' from a shelter. By this I mean everything from health issues to temperment problems.

That little doggie from the shelter is very likely to be fixed as well and this CAUSES long term health risks and increases the chances for many diseases. Your particular Vet may not mention this to you as they are more concerned with population control than they are the individual longevity of the particular dog but the fact remains that there are TONS of current studies that prove the increased health risks and shortened lifespans associated with spayed/neutered dogs.

My purebred dogs WILL outlive your mixed breeds and have a better quality of life. Picking the right purebred is the key here...

Google the studies done by Laura J Sanborn for more info on this matter if you need. She cites ALL of her references and studies that were considered in her evaluation.

Please go to your local animal shelter and get your dog. I have 6 dogs Yorkie, Maltese, Chihuahua, Westie, bird dog and a Collie. All came from our local shelter.
Adopt don't Shop!!!

Hear, hear! And if you walk in and tell them what your needs are, believe me they will do their darndest to help you find a dog that is right for your family
smile.png

There are so many wonderful dogs in the world that need a home...

Back
Top Bottom