Thinking about buying an incubator

Have you looked at Brinsea's site? Sometimes they have great "scratch and dent" sales.
I personally, went with a small bringer, rather than buying something larger and less dependable. It only holds 7 eggs but I get a great hatch rate. Every egg that has developed, has hatched.
I'm only hatching for personal use, though, so 5 to 6 chicks are great for me.

Have you looked at Brinsea's site? Sometimes they have great "scratch and dent" sales.
I personally, went with a small bringer, rather than buying something larger and less dependable. It only holds 7 eggs but I get a great hatch rate. Every egg that has developed, has hatched.
I'm only hatching for personal use, though, so 5 to 6 chicks are great for me.
Had no idea they had a scratch and dent section! For me it'd be both personal (as girls stop laying or die off) and I have a first year layer...3rd time broody this year. Her first phase was early March(way too early for us frozen brains in northern nys). So I figured screw it give her some eggs and throw a bunch in an incubator. Get a good group rolling and put flyers up on community boards and make a few bucks...since she wants to seemingly freeload. Make a few bucks plus some. Especially in those moments I'm swimming in eggs.

Let me know how it works out for you! Also how much was the extra hydrometer for the better accuracy?
The thermometer is an Inkbird ITH-10, I paid $11 on Amazon. I think it is $13 now. The hygrometer is accurate, but the temperature reads 2 degrees low. But it is at least consistently low.
I was also looking at the Nature Rite 360. I decided that I didn't need one that large, but I wanted one that held at least 12 eggs. It was tempting though!

Had no idea they had a scratch and dent section! For me it'd be both personal (as girls stop laying or die off) and I have a first year layer...3rd time broody this year. Her first phase was early March(way too early for us frozen brains in northern nys). So I figured screw it give her some eggs and throw a bunch in an incubator. Get a good group rolling and put flyers up on community boards and make a few bucks...since she wants to seemingly freeload. Make a few bucks plus some. Especially in those moments I'm swimming in eggs.
That is exactly what I do with my little brinsea..hatch them, and give the chicks to my hens. I have too many broodies so I try to give them only 2 to 3 chicks each.
I believe this brinsea mini advanced 2 was $89 scratch and dent...no dents or scratches either. I guess it was a "floor model".

That is exactly what I do with my little brinsea..hatch them, and give the chicks to my hens. I have too many broodies so I try to give them only 2 to 3 chicks each.
I believe this brinsea mini advanced 2 was $89 scratch and dent...no dents or scratches either. I guess it was a "floor model".
I just looked at the maxi 14 and about fainted. Looked at the one that holds 7 and that was still 169.99🙄

The thermometer is an Inkbird ITH-10, I paid $11 on Amazon. I think it is $13 now. The hygrometer is accurate, but the temperature reads 2 degrees low. But it is at least consistently low.
I was also looking at the Nature Rite 360. I decided that I didn't need one that large, but I wanted one that held at least 12 eggs. It was tempting though!
See I'm tempted on the NR360 because of its reliability and the fact I can fit 12 or more eggs. If I know I have people whom will buy chicks off me I'll gladly fill the thing and go to town. I'm sure if I post it on local community boards for say 2.50-3 bucks barnyard mix straight run and list all the breeds that could be mixed people would eat it up as opposed to paying the seemingly crazy 6 bucks a chick for some breeds. Especially if they're out for wither meat or just for eggs and like chickens😂

from the things I've seen I'd say the NR 360 is the best value for money. It might be a bit more expensive but it is worth it not having any regrets. Anything cheaper will either use more electricity and thus work out more that way or the chicks will die.
Even if you make your own you are looking at $90, people will say it can be done cheaper but to be successful that is what any homemade one with decent material will cost.
If you live in a very hot country apparently according to some youtube video's I have seen you can hatch eggs using the energy from the sun.
It depends how much hatching you want to do but at the same time it doesn't really. You want the incubator that gives the best hatch percentage.

An incubator is just a start up cost to keeping chickens and overall it isn't that much.

Once you work out how much a coop will cost, the run, the feeders and waterers, the additional bits like fencing, door openers, bedding, treats and most importantly a brooder heating source once the chicks hatch.
You will also need an additional hygrometer/thermometer and food. Food is a yearly cost, the incubator is a one off cost that should last 10 years.

Anyway once you work all that out, the saving youl would be making overall on keeping chickens would be in the region of 5%. Is it worth having a bad experience over a 5% saving to the chicken hobby? That is how I would look at it.

Last edited:
I got my wine cooler for free of craigslist (I'm lucky enough to see them offered nearly every week). I paid about $20 for the thermostat, $14 for the lamp kit, $9 for the thermometer/hygrometer from Walmart, $19 for the fan, and I sprung for a $40 egg turner and got a second free off craigslist. I can incubate about 100 eggs at a time. I didn't have any craftiness, I just stuck it all inside my wine fridge and plug them all in to a power strip. I spent a little over $100 on mine but can hatch and sell large batches so I'm pleased with it. I've more than made back my initial investment.

You can factor that in: how many chicks do you have to hatch and sell to justify the investment?

Hello all!

I'm sure this has been discussed about a billion times. But im looking into buying a decent quality incubator that won't break the bank. I know many swear by brinsea but I have a hard time going that high...same with hovabator. I know many swear by the nature rite 360 incubator which I have no argument with. I'm hoping to find something a bit cheaper. I know you get what you pay for. But im mainly asking what one is the fairest quality at the fairest price. One thing I've noticed in this hobby, it's either stupid cheap(both price and quality) or stupid expensive(obviously better quality). What im wondering is there an "off brand" that's just as good as name brand thats 1/3 the cost lol.

Thanks all!
I can only review the NR360. I am very pleased with it. My particular unit had a slight defect...one of the LCD bars in the humidity display did not function. I do not have another thermometer or hydrometer to check the accuracy of the unit, but I did get a 91% hatch rate on a first try. They even hatched a day early. I think it was worth the $150.

I can only review the NR360. I am very pleased with it. My particular unit had a slight defect...one of the LCD bars in the humidity display did not function. I do not have another thermometer or hydrometer to check the accuracy of the unit, but I did get a 91% hatch rate on a first try. They even hatched a day early. I think it was worth the $150.
Many have told me that the NR360 is well worth the money. But every time I go to buy an incubator(regardless of brand/ known reliability etc.) I hesitate. I honestly don't need or want more birds. But see an opportunity to teach my kids something at home along with give them a chance to stash away money for their futures(college or whatever) as its not money we need or need to rely on.

Back
Top Bottom