Thinking about buying an incubator

Many have told me that the NR360 is well worth the money. But every time I go to buy an incubator(regardless of brand/ known reliability etc.) I hesitate. I honestly don't need or want more birds. But see an opportunity to teach my kids something at home along with give them a chance to stash away money for their futures(college or whatever) as its not money we need or need to rely on.
I understand the hesitation. My main reason for buying one was that I didn't want to give more money to hatcheries. And I wanted a little more food security....SHTF or just inflation. Even if I never use it again, at least I have it and I know it works.

Hello all!

I'm sure this has been discussed about a billion times. But im looking into buying a decent quality incubator that won't break the bank. I know many swear by brinsea but I have a hard time going that high...same with hovabator. I know many swear by the nature rite 360 incubator which I have no argument with. I'm hoping to find something a bit cheaper. I know you get what you pay for. But im mainly asking what one is the fairest quality at the fairest price. One thing I've noticed in this hobby, it's either stupid cheap(both price and quality) or stupid expensive(obviously better quality). What im wondering is there an "off brand" that's just as good as name brand thats 1/3 the cost lol.

Thanks all!
I like the NR 360, just because I've had hundreds of successful hatches ranging from quail, chickens, geese, ducks, and pheasants.
Another idea would be to make your own. My husband and I are currently working on a large mini fridge conversation, going to have an awesome temp and humidity gauge that notifies our phone, a digital thermometer, and it will hold between 300-400 chicken eggs and of course the emu eggs we will be getting from our emus in the next year. This is the taller mini fridge version that holds a lot of eggs (it had 2 compartments too), it's about the same height as a regular fridge, just more narrow. We got the fridge for free by asking on our local FB pages and telling people the project we are using it for, and we actually had a local store donate one to us for free, brand new just didn't work.
You can get EVERYTHING you need for an incubator (big or small) online on incubatorwarehouse.com
They have great reviews, products, and even great and simple tutorials and many options depending on your needs. They also sell premade incubators I believe.

Edited to add: if you got a free mini fridge (even a small one) and one of their good kits online it would be about $60, (this includes the digital thermometer and humidity gauge, a fan, and not sure what else) depending on if you had the tools or not, but it doesn't take much to make one.

I understand the hesitation. My main reason for buying one was that I didn't want to give more money to hatcheries. And I wanted a little more food security....SHTF or just inflation. Even if I never use it again, at least I have it and I know it works.
Part of me doesn't want to give money to hatcheries or their middle men anymore myself. Besides I also thought I have a hen that loves to go broody(1st year layer and 3rd time broody this spring/summer alone). So why not just give her a dozen to sit on. Well it seems to me that she can seemingly only handle(unsure why) 4 eggs successfully at a time. The first time I only gave her 4 and all 4 hatched. 2nd time she abandoned the nest because I built a new larger coop to accommodate more and didn't properly move her( my fault I didn't research before the move...but I had extra hands to make the move quick). This time I gave her 12 and all but 4 eggs I think died or went rotten and were broken(not sure if by her hand or others, but I know one was by her hand). But there are 4 left in the nest and they are due to hatch in the next day or two. But I figure if she's gonna go broody like this let her give her a bunch then grab the next days worth of eggs and incubate them. What hatches, hatches. Post it on local community boards for cheaper than hatchery price(again it'd be money for my kids savings as this is more a hobby than money maker for us and teach our kids responsibility). Or let her raise them up then get rid of them for more money($15/ bird roughly) and again put it in my children's savings for college or something.

I can only review the NR360. I am very pleased with it. My particular unit had a slight defect...one of the LCD bars in the humidity display did not function. I do not have another thermometer or hydrometer to check the accuracy of the unit, but I did get a 91% hatch rate on a first try. They even hatched a day early. I think it was worth the $150.
I can update to say that the last egg did hatch.

My reasons for buying an incubator were:
1. I have several broody hens and I wanted a backup plan if something happened to one who was sitting.
2. I lost a great rooster several years ago. He was my only one, at that time. If I'd had an incubator, I could have kept his line going.
3. I have a better hatch rate than the hens do, and that always raise the chicks. Win win.
4. I don't trust the post office to get chicks to me safely.

I have to say, I bought the brinsea because the NR360 was sold out. I'm not sorry, because the brinsea mini limits my population growth. 🤣
I do feel like the NR360 is probably a better deal for most people.

I bought a little giant (fan and turner)with out checking reviews first. I think I had a pretty good hatch rate, I only had a few hatches in it so far, but my last batch I put in 11 eggs, and 10 hatched. (The one egg that didn't hatch looked a bit old, they were from the store-but local.) The only thing I would do diff with the LG is not fill every egg hole in turner (40?) because it is hard on the motor, and the instructions also say this.

1. I have several broody hens and I wanted a backup plan if something happened to one who was sitting.
2. I lost a great rooster several years ago. He was my only one, at that time. If I'd had an incubator, I could have kept his line going.
3. I have a better hatch rate than the hens do, and that always raise the chicks. Win win.

I have to say, I bought the brinsea because the NR360 was sold out. I'm not sorry, because the brinsea mini limits my population growth. 🤣
I've only had one hen go broody so far but I thought the same about the backup plan.

If I do hatch in an incubator at the same time a hen goes broody. Will she raise those chicks she didn't hatch if I slide them in with her at night? I was wondering that myself!

It's just a tough pill to swallow price wise
Things don't get cheaper. Pick a pill and swallow.

Great reasons. Re: #2, I haven't lost him, but he's good and I want to keep his traits. He's taken a couple of back hands and not become aggressive (I think he knew he was in the wrong).

Although plenty of negative reviews abound for the type of incubator I have, I LOVE IT. It has performed wonderfully in the many years I have had it, and I use it several times a year.
I use a Farm Innovators, Pro Series 4250 with an automatic egg turner. I have both standard rails and quail rails in it, and have hatched both successfully. I have tried duck eggs in it once, but only 4 eggs and none hatched; the duck eggs were given to me by a neighbor so their original viability is questionable.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom