Thinking Turkey

It is just the same as installing the roofing panels.  The only difference is that you should pre drill holes in the clear panels rather than just nailing through or screwing them down.  I am sure that your local lumber store can explain how to install the panels.  If it still seems too much of a job for you, your local lumber store can also put you in contact with a qualified person or contractor to install them for you.

I pUT the opaque panels up over my run and they are excellent ND letting filtered light in. Very easy to do! My suggestion would be to pick an end section and close it off with hardware cloth, use those opaque panels to get some light through the ceiling, even maybe a section of the wall, get an old window or two (they don't need to be nice, craigslist, freecycle, etc) and install for ventilation and light, lay hardware cloth along the floor and fill with sand and you're good to go! That's a great structure to start with! You could subdivide it for several uses!

How small of a gap is small enough to not worry about? There are plenty of gaps in this shed and I'm assuming some are good to ignore.

I'm relatively new to poultry but have taken the approach that as long as the racoons and coyotes can't get in, I'm good. That said, we don't have a big issue with snakes or mink, etc where I am. I think if you did you'd want to see gaps a bit more vigilantly.

I pUT the opaque panels up over my run and they are excellent ND letting filtered light in. Very easy to do! My suggestion would be to pick an end section and close it off with hardware cloth, use those opaque panels to get some light through the ceiling, even maybe a section of the wall, get an old window or two (they don't need to be nice, craigslist, freecycle, etc) and install for ventilation and light, lay hardware cloth along the floor and fill with sand and you're good to go! That's a great structure to start with! You could subdivide it for several uses!

Oh, meant to include, i just used self tapping screws (with the built in washer type head) and they installed without any additional steps.

My dad believes that this shed was used to house livestock when built. It has venting along the top ridge on the roof. This should provide enough ventilation I suspect. One of my buildings has these translucent panels on the roof and another has them on the side. I'm not sure what I'll do but I'd probably feel safer putting them in the side as opposed to crawling on that old roof. The other issue is that this shed runs north-south. So it's not like I could put a couple on the south side of the shed. I suppose I could put one on the east and west side. This would catch am and pm sun.

Last edited:
My dad believes that this shed was used to house livestock when built. It has venting along the top ridge on the roof. This should provide enough ventilation I suspect. One of my buildings has these translucent panels on the roof and another has them on the side. I'm not sure what I'll do but I'd probably feel safer putting them in the side as opposed to crawling on that old roof. The other issue is that this shed runs north-south. So it's not like I could put a couple on the south side of the shed. I suppose I could put one on the east and west side. This would catch am and pm sun.

Oh wow, so you have a nice large wall of South facing, how nice! I'd definitely take advantage of that.

Maybe I didnt write that correctly but the length runs north-south. So the short end faces south.
1f61e.png

Not only that but the south side has a big door. I'm not sure if should be messing with a door. Actually in all reality I'm not sure I can convince my wife that we need turkeys. Whenever we talk about it she gets upset. My hope is that she loves chickens and then softens up to the idea of turkeys.

I was hoping that my buff orps would be a decent dual purpose breed. I am also hoping that if I get into turkeys that the bourbon reds would also be a good dual purpose breed. That is why I am planning them instead of other breeds.

As far as wandering goes, do the surrounding corn fields offer any concern? They aren't my fields. I would hate for them to mess them up or maybe they will just use it for cover or maybe avoid them altogether. Some past experience would be great.

Predation certainly is a concern, which is why I ask about proofing my dirt floor. We have smallish predators here think fox, coyote, bobcat, coons, etc. No snakes, wolf, bear. I do not currently have a dog but a Great Pyrenees appeals to me. I think that my biggest threat is fox and coyote which should be more of a night time risk. So I am hoping that if I can secure my shed I can be pretty safe, but I know my wife would feel better with a dog around.

Just wanted to let you know what pyrs are like... I'm currently on my third. Before you purchase one research the breed for months. They are fantastic dogs and my favorite breed but they have points to consider... They are EXTREMELY independent thinkers and need a calm dominant pack leader. They bark drool and she'd A lOT.you must must must have a secure fence over five feet. Ours patrol their territory with is everything they can see. You do not need two for guardian duty unless you have mountain lions like I do.no dog of any age can be guaranteed not to kill and a strong working blood line is just as important as they "show". All that being said if you are willing to put in the time and effort in three years or so you will have the best dog you can imagine. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom