To ship or not to ship chicks? GreenFire Farms

I actually haven’t looked. I just know that there’s no guarantee. If they have that policy you will get refunded on losses, but I still do t want to put the chicks through that if right now is a bad time.
Do they not have a live chicks on arrival guarantee?
They used to, but it had the stipulation of certain zipcodes not qualifying (ones that had dryice routes on part of the route to you from them).

I tried looking again yesterday to see if a different zip code was one listed as a no, and couldn't find the page at all, so I'm nervous they decided no guarantee at all.

I'd be worried about your neighbors dog.
This^^
The fog lives down the road and is contained in an electric fence, most of the time. First off, with the price for reimbursement I’m sure they’ll be encouraged to keep their dog in the electric fence.
Secondly, hardware cloth. Hardware cloth is going on everything that isn’t covered in hardware cloth. We can’t have anymore losses, hardware cloth is going up.

I've ordered from Greenfire Farms many times and I live all the way in California. They usually offer a 72 hour live guarantee. They will replace or refund any that die within that timeframe which is the longest guarantee of any hatchery out there. For instance, Cackle only has a "live arrival" guarantee. If they die a hour after arrival, they won't replace or refund the chicks. I've only had one shipment that didn't do well and I'm pretty sure it was because the chicks were overheated in shipping. Greenfire always includes extras in case you lose one or two. I've only had a handful of DOA chicks and I've ordered over a hundred chicks from them. They always have coupons for 20% off floating around. They also offer overhatch chicks on auction for much, much, less than their website. If you're worried about the shipping, don't be. My only complaint is that certain breeds they carry are very prone to sickness and disease. For instance, any deathlayers and spitzhaubens I get from them rarely survive to adulthood. A lot of other people have had the same experience with specific breeds. I think a lot of this has to do with the limited gene pool of their stock and the fact that they are imported. Imported breeds are more susceptible to native strains of poultry diseases. I have some OEPF from Greenfire. They are a smaller chicken. Very flighty but confident around other breeds. They are pretty but I am just not a fan because of their more "wild" nature. I don't have any Flarry Eye Greys from them but I do have Liege Fighters and Indio Gigante. The Liege is, by far, my favorite of the Greenfire breeds.

I've ordered from Greenfire Farms many times and I live all the way in California. They usually offer a 72 hour live guarantee. They will replace or refund any that die within that timeframe which is the longest guarantee of any hatchery out there. For instance, Cackle only has a "live arrival" guarantee. If they die a hour after arrival, they won't replace or refund the chicks. I've only had one shipment that didn't do well and I'm pretty sure it was because the chicks were overheated in shipping. Greenfire always includes extras in case you lose one or two. I've only had a handful of DOA chicks and I've ordered over a hundred chicks from them. They always have coupons for 20% off floating around. They also offer overhatch chicks on auction for much, much, less than their website. If you're worried about the shipping, don't be. My only complaint is that certain breeds they carry are very prone to sickness and disease. For instance, any deathlayers and spitzhaubens I get from them rarely survive to adulthood. A lot of other people have had the same experience with specific breeds. I think a lot of this has to do with the limited gene pool of their stock and the fact that they are imported. Imported breeds are more susceptible to native strains of poultry diseases. I have some OEPF from Greenfire. They are a smaller chicken. Very flighty but confident around other breeds. They are pretty but I am just not a fan because of their more "wild" nature. I don't have any Flarry Eye Greys from them but I do have Liege Fighters and Indio Gigante. The Liege is, by far, my favorite of the Greenfire breeds.
Thank you so much! This is such great info. Thank you! I think we’ve decided again going the GreenFire route this year. Mostly got space reasons. Hopefully next year we’ll have more pens open and we’ll go with them. I really want to get done birds from them, they have so much variety.

I have had eggs shipped before the closer you are to the farm, the better they hatch of course. My best shipped egg hatch was Foxfire farm, out of ID. I got 24 eggs and 17 hatch. My best hatch was local eggs bought from a store, 34/36.

Shipped chicks I have had good luck, Chicks shipped in Jan. May, Sept. and Oct. The Oct chicks were the only one I had trouble with. (In the future, in cold weather, I would ask for heat packet.)

Not directly related to GFF, but I just had chicks shipped, and I'm in Southern California. Shipped 16th, arrived 17th, and I feel their safe arrival was in part due to the heat. It has been hovering around the perfect brooding temperature outside. If anything, being held at the post office would have been the worst. It was freezing in there!

Back
Top Bottom